Noob question on huge print that failed

usually you can see if there is enough slack for it to jump a tooth but with this your talking about the carriage jamming and the belt jumping many teeth right at that point in the print. you could just use displays the controls to move the carriages about where this would have started happening and see if the printer moves in some position where it could become jammed. I think you said this was the second time it happened so whatever it is is persistent.

The filament dropping of the overhanging portion is normal under the circumstances. That portion had nothing underneath it for the filament to be deposited on.

With several prints between the first and second fails. this usually happns with larger and higher prints.

The tower bae in the photo is almost 7inches wide and 7 inches deep. Fail occured after total height of 2 inches. Each part in the picture is one inch high.

I had a problem with an untightened grub screw on the motor shaft, did the same thing.
Also sometimes it is just the slicers interpretation, move file 90 degrees or on an angle and see if it works.

I can sure pivot it at an angle. Bur surely no at 90deg as it is square, no?

Yes at an angle. My feeling is something is getting caught.

Cats you never know, sneaky critters. lol

1 Like

If the slicer had made an error, the problem will be written in gcode. If that’s the case you will get exactly the same error in exactly same place every time. Is that what’s happening or is it random? Cable snags tend to be somewhat random.
The more I look at this, the more I wonder. I keep looking at it from the point of view of an Ender 5Pro owner. The Pro has both the X axis cable and the print head cable dangling and available to get caught on something. I’ve had my X axis cable get caught on the extruder and my print head cable get caught on the X axis motor. Looking at the CR-6 diagram you posted, you should only have a problem with the X axis motor cable.

Checking code does not do the trick, slicer thinks its doing it correctly and if you don’t know all the ins and outs of the code, well good luck.
Had a few fails of this type rotated the model, re-sliced and got good print, something just do not have a valid answer.

was able to rotate the model but only after I reduced the size. The tower is so large I could not rotate otherwise, the corners were off the plate.

Will try that and see what happen.

So you’re both clear on this, when I was referring to the gcode, I was not suggesting you actually check it. That’s just tedious and you really need to know what you’re looking for.

I was trying to point out that, if the suggestion that the slicer crated the problem is true, the error would be written to gcode. Re-running the gcode will create the same error in exactly the same place every time. That’s a dead giveaway that the slicer did something wrong.

On the other hand, if it’s something external and more-or-less random, like a cable snag, running the gcode that failed for a second time is highly unlikely to cause a cable snag at exactly the same point, if at all. I just think rotating the print and re-slicing it is a red herring.

If the print reliably fails with layer shift then I recommend ditching cura, Consistently have had this issue on several different printers. I was able to narrow it down to jerk settings being to low but would still run into issue from time to time. Use Prusa Slicer exclusively now and never had layer shift once.

But again, I think you have to look at the SIZE of his layer shift. Jerk settings can indeed tray to accelerate a stepper faster than it will allow on a given axis and thus cause skipped steps, but those would be incremental and repeated whereas his layer shift is massive and singular.

True some what, in my experience layer shift for me was always a one time occurrence on a model like his photo. I’ve never experienced the typical layer shift where another shift occurs every few layers.

This is layer shifting due to improper stepper motor timing/acceleration beyond what the stepper motor can drive or due to a slipping belt.