Oakville, another old guy but not new to 3d printing :)

Hi all, I started pretty early in the 3d printing days, built my fair share of RepRaps, original MakerBots (including laser cutting all the plywood), etc. I used to be a tech at Sheridan College and helped build out and take care of the Maker lab when it first started. When I stopped working at Sheridan several years ago I kinda got out of the game.

Now back in it full swing … I’ve built out my workshop (mostly woodworking) but decided I needed to get 3d printing going for my own needs, to build out jigs and stuff for my shop, etc. I used to enjoy building 3d printers from scratch, but these days I mostly want an easy solution that just works that I don’t have to fight with too much … (I know, not asking much LOL).

I currently have an Ender 3 Max and a Prusa Mini clone. Most of my printing is in PETG as it’s for shop usage. I use Fusion 360 for most of the designs (when I don’t find something on thingiverse or similar). These printers run mostly 24x7 printing out shop stuff (currently just started on a HUGE amount of prints for a storage solution for parts and pieces). Glad to have found this store and community. Happy to support local!

Gerk

5 Likes

Welcome to the community. I always like seeing those who got started in the early days of 3d printing join us.

Thanks. Seems like a small but decent community here. Glad to have found it.

1 Like

HI @Gerk Similar BG here, My first one was a MENDEL Max, the huge octopus-looking thing with the frame made out of 8mm threaded rod, Was ugly but it worked. Most of all other parts are bought on e-bay out of china or the US. First spool of filament I bought a 2KG spool of Whipper snipper line at a john deer dealer local to me in hamilton. Ended up being nylon but only cost $30 going by memory.

1 Like

Nice. Those ones were pretty funky looking! I think I remember seeing some. I had a buddy who was super super early and built a very very early rep rap in his lab at university, he was the one who got me interested. I remember thinking “A self replicating 3d printer! Wow!”

1 Like

Yes, that was the theory at the time, Build one and help your buddy build his. None of us knew what we were doing at the time though.

2 Likes

You say that like we know what we are doing now :smiley:

2 Likes

can confirm, monkey with soldering irn enguaged.

2 Likes