Other hobbies to compliment 3d printing

I"m your classic jack of all trades, master of none. I’ve been using my printer to make buildings, trees, cemeteries and most important, a pair of turntables for my model train mantle-piece. The ability to print a pair of turntables solved an enormous problem and basically paid for the printer.

Otherwise, the accuracy of a 3D printer has finally allowed me to make things that I didn’t have the skills, tools, or patience to make by hand. This has allowed me to expand my electronics work to make mounts for circuit boards, motors, sensors, etc.

Projects for the summer will include a steering-wheel mounted control panel for my Ryobi mower.

Beyond that, I’ve been printing toys for my wife’s daycare.

1 Like

Personally I was always into woodworking/ furniture building. wanted to add a new skill to my pieces so built my first CNC machine with an Arduino, very quickly fell into 3d printing and now kind of combine them all.

2 Likes

The cnc is something I’m very interested in. Do mind if I ask for a pic or two? I want that to be my next machine, and I’m hoping to keep cost a tad lower by building my own

Hi benchy

Absolutly, im actually emptying my workshop right now and starting from scratch setting it back up again, I have to change up my garage a little, motorcycles/repair one side and wood projects on the other, will post when its all setup.

I wish haha. My garage is piled up on both sides at least 8 ft, with a 4 foot aisle along my bench to work in lol

My only saving grace is that I rent trailers as a part time gig, I have a couple of enclosed box trailers that I can empty my garage into and start over from scratch, (hopefully I can get it done before someone books the trailers Im using)

Miniature modeling, designing , and painting. As a hardcore Dungeons and Dragons player, 3D printing has changed the game for sure!

3 Likes

While I don’t think I will ever “get” the appeal of D&D, or cosplay for that matter, I have to admit I am in awe of your painting skills.

1 Like

I understand cosplay a bit. I used to make costumes while I was in college. Loved it. My crown jewel was a suit of roman(ish) armor I made out of aluminum the sheet metal shop

Thank you so much, It’s so much fun!

I been into radio control since 1988 when my father bring me to a hobby store to get some slots cars and I first saw the clod buster that my dad told me I had to work to get it so I did and worked my ass off for about a year then I bought it

1 Like

I also use my ender 5 pro to print buildings and bridges etc for my N scale trains

do you design your own or do you print STLs off the web?