Over extrusion after first layer

I’m having an issue with over extrusion after the first layer. The first layer goes down perfectly and then once it starts printing the second layer the nozzle starts digging through the new layer. I’ve calibrated my e steps, tried playing around with the flow settings in Cura, and tried using Prusa and got the same results. I also lowered the temperature on both the build plate and and the nozzle with no luck. My z offset is set perfect. If I raise my z offset, the first layer is way too high and does not adhere to to build plate, but then the second layer goes on fine. It’s like it’s either or. I’m stumped and I’m starting to get quite frustrated as I just want to print some parts. :frowning:

Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated. By the way, I’m more interested in designing parts and printing them rather than fiddling with the printer all the time. Maybe I should have gone with a different printer. I don’t know…

Well, I used to have a similar problem, and it ended up being that the v-slot wheels on the z axis were too tight. I loosened them off, until I could turn them pretty easily without having any play, and problem solved. That would be the first thing I’d check.

Funny enough, that’s the first thing I tried to address the issue. I loosened both sides with no luck.

This is just a random idea, but have you checked to make sure all the connections between stepper and leadscrew are tight, and checked that the threaded piece the leadscrew goes through is also tight? I doubt that any of the above would cause such issues, but doesn’t hurt to check. Do you have a BlTouch/CRTouch or some other form of ABL, or just manual bed leveling? You for sure have the same size nozzle as the slicer is set too? I imagine you do, but I have to suggest it. Have you checked the filament to see if it is actually within advertised tolerances? Edit, also, have you checked z-steps?

Yup, nozzle size in slicer is correct. Haven’t checked the lead screw. Although when it jumps to the next layer, everything moves as it should. I’ve checked for play in the z axis by using the z offset adjustment and it’s pretty tight. I’ll still check the things you suggested though. I’m taking a break for now as it is just getting me really frustrated and honestly after spending all my spare time the last few days trying to figure this out, I’m honestly starting to loose interest.

I hear you. I’ve been there too with a persistent problem. Can certainly be frustrating. Don’t give up yet though, it isn’t magic, somewhere there will be a technical reason for it. I am sure it can be figured out. It wouldn’t be something as simple as a worn out nozzle, would it?

Have you tried increasing the Z offset to see if it goes away.

Hello!

One thing you may want to check is what you have the first layer thickness set to. On my printers I usually have this set to 0.3mm on 0.2mm prints just to get good adhesion, but in your case you may want to set it a little lower.

I agree with @Loosenut about checking you have the correct z-offset for your first layer. I have included documentation for this down below.

Hope this helps!
Matthew

Tune your First Layer - Z Offsets - Tutorial Australia.

Hi @damorim

Question for you, Have you printed a calibration cube and measured it to make sure the steps on your Z axis are not off? If the esteps are off on the Z it would cause everything other than the first layer to be squished of over extruded.

The printer is brand new. It has somewhere like a day of print time on it so I can’t see how the nozzle would wear out already.

If I raise the z offset, the first layer will not adhere. I have it as high as possible while still getting decent adhesion.

My Z offset is perfect. My first layer is on the money and then it all goes downhill from there.

I have not checked that. Thing is the printer was working great for the first few days. I had it printing quite well and then out of nowhere this issue was persistent.

Jason is correct. A brand new printer needs to be calibrated to work properly.

yes it is likely calibration extrusion multiplier would be my guess. Although having done steps it might be something else.

https://help.prusa3d.com/article/extrusion-multiplier-calibration_2257

Nozzles can wear out very quickly. Carbon Fibre, stone and glow in particular seem to wear them out rapidly, easily under an hour. I used to change nozzles often in a few weeks just printing regular filaments (white is harder than many other colours in my experience) The mentioned ones after every print. It is worth taking a close look it causes extrusion issues accuracy issues and stringing.

I eventually switched to an E3D Nozzle X, Zodiac by accounts also works quite well. I love mine it has been … a year? more I think since I installed it. It is just starting to show issues. I just finished 3 kg this week so it has a lot of use. I no longer hesitate to print glow of CF.

Thanks for your responses,

I would advise that you re-check all of your e-step values as well as your extrusion multiplier. You may want to try changing to a different slicer and see what happens. If you are looking for suggestions I personally really enjoy superslicer, it is really similar to prusaslicer but has some bonus features added. One that you might be interested in would be the flow calibration tool. I have included a video below that goes over most of these tools, the flow calibration section can be found at 3:50 in the video.

Hope this helps,
Matthew

1 Like

I had same issue, and couldn’t figure it out. In the end I upgraded to dual gear extruders, Apparently my old e-steps were short and the new setup with correct calculations was not what this printer wanted. So I went into my slicer (I use Prusa Slicer) and in the filament tab and change the “Extruder multiplier” to 0.9. The range is 0.9 to 1.1. In essence I was over extruding and the extra material is causing the layers to sequentially increase in thickness until the tip starts dragging and then compresses the layers. So for an acid test try making a 40x20x2mm rectangle in your slicer and then use the filament set with 0.9 and see what you get.

1 Like

hi @JEBurroughs

Welcome to the forum, Glad you found us.

Are you a home user or a small business user of 3D printers?