PLA resin biocompatibility

Hi fellows,
This is my first post here. I’m using a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K 3D printer and I’m looking for resins which can be used in the mouth. The usual and safe bet is to use surgical guides resin which is surely biocompatible. But I recently realized that PLA bio-based resins claim to be safe. This is an example about what I mean:

https://www.esun3d.com/eresin-pla-product/

This resin is even certified as EN71-3 (European toy standard):
https://www.intertek.com/toys-childrens-products/chemical-testing/

This certification means the material will not release toxic elements even if it’s swallowed. Despite this certification could make this resin usable it’s not marketed for that use. Is this related to its biocompatibility or is related to its mechanical properties?

I don’t need exactly the same mechanical properties of surgical guides, so if biocompatibility is similar I would test this resin.

Thank you very much in advance!

Luis Pablo

It is a tough call for sure. There are specifically dental machines specifically for oral applications.

First to be truly safe all components must meet standards, the build plate, Vat, etc. If the printer was ever used for any other resin it should be considered contaminated.

Personally I would never take a risk with my health.

Did you look at the SDS (MSDS) from what you linked?

The resin is listed as corrosive to skin, irritating to skin, a sensitizer meaning the longer the exposure the more severe the reaction, and able to caused serious eye damage.

It is highly toxic in aquatic systems. (it simply can never go down a drain)

The PPE is eye guards a face shield and gloves.

The ROHS testing (if it is legit) lists lead, cadmium, mercury, and chromium.

There are small amounts, 5 mg/L but these are very toxic compounds.

Some 3d printer companies have forged documents, my sidewinder came with a fake certificate. It is why Canadian sellers for many 3d printers pay for independent certifications.

Personally I would not put a consumer non medical printer product in my mouth.

Thank you very much for your reply. MDL (Method Detection Limit) is 2mg/kg which means the analized sample is below that limit because these metals were not detected (N.D.)

A very popular saxophone mouthpieces brand makes their products with a custom developed filament (SCAL3D):

In the past they used an ABS filament certified as non-toxic (EN 71 and CE 1907/2006 standards):

" We use ABS plastic to craft our mouthpieces: this material allows us to get the highest degree of precision, with an improved resistance and durability. And you can get that in 18 colors to build a perfect style on stage!

The plastic we use to make SYOS mouthpieces has been certified non-toxic in laboratory (EN 71 and CE 1907/2006 standards). In fact, the same kind of plastic is used to make toys for children, which can be put in mouth without any risks. At the opposite, with the “ebonite” plastic, some sulfuric acid releases are observed when the mouthpiece is old, which gives it a yellow-green color."

However, they removed that info from the FAQ section and there’s no reference to any kind of certification in the website current version.

Do you think that those mouthpieces can be harmful or toxic?

Thank you very much in advance.

Can I just say that this is REALLY NOT the forum to be asking question about biocompatibility of 3D filaments/resins. I’m not sure where you would find someone who can provide a competent answer to your questions as well as help you select the most appropriate product but it’s not here.

Secondly, it’s “analyzed”, not “analized”. You will get some unexpected responses if you’re asking to have a product “analized” and I’ll leave it at that.

Thank you for your reply! I guess this is not the right forum for asking that question. I know it’s “analyzed” but sometimes, when typing hurry, I get this kind of typos because English is not my first language, in fact is my third language (after Spanish and Portuguese).