Print failed 16 hours in :( what happened?

Any ideas what went wrong?
all metal E3D V6 hotend, Titanium Heatbreak
Black PETG
0.4mm brass nozzle
0.24 Layer Height
210c
50mm/s print speed
3mm retract, 0.79 Linear Advance
50% cooling fan

My guess is that your nozzle got clogged and couldn’t pass filament properly.

How old is it and what happens if you do a short print now?

Thanks for the reply, im not sure what you mean how old is it, and while disassembling the hotend to check for a clog I broke the thermistor and snapped the titanium heatbreak in half (Was alot weaker than I thought, but i did find a small piece of pla lodged in the heatbreak) so i wont be printing for a while now.

Titanium heat breaks resist high temps but that said they also a poor thermally. This can be a good thing and bad. They resist heat creep but retractions can bring liquid filament up into the section between heat block and heat sync, and because of the low thermal properties it can solidify and jam. Ti breaks are best used with direct drives and high heat materials. try regular stainless, bi metal, Or one of the alloys. If you go the bi metal route, I had bad experiences with cheap ones (turned apart) but my slice is far far better than other I tried.

Yeep. Sorry.

If you found some some foreign material (how do you know it’s PLA?), then that might have been your problem - the flake was interrupting material to your nozzle.

I was asking how old the printer was as sometimes the PTFE that lines the heatbreak will flake off and start causing clogs. In that case, you have to pull the nozzle and either clean it or replace it.

Again, apologies.

I had been printing with blue pla before I swapped to PETG. I am surprised that it printed fine for almost 16 hours then just suddenly started causing an issue. I was using an all metal hotend and a titanium heatbreak so no PTFE to be found. Now I have to try and extract the piece of heatbreak that is lodged in the heaterblock any tips? it was a pretty clean break so I cant grip it with pliers or anything.

Thanks.

I would recommend trying a screw extractor:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search-results.html?q=screw%20extractor%20set

Otherwise, you’ll have to buy a new heat block and heat break.

I’d just replace the whole thing. You might get it out but blocks are not costly. I tend to prefer brass myself, I also mount them upside down, the grub screws never fill with plastic that way.

I agree with Myke, a Tiny screw extractor should get it out but you’ll need to heat the block with a heat gun first to get the nozzle out. Once the nozzle is out heat break usually will come out very easily, to the point where I can just push my finger on the top of the broken part and “unscrew” just using my finger tip

If you’re over retracting or potentially over extruding you can cause pressure from over extruding which will in turn jam your printer