Printing Frustrations - Ender 3V2

I recently picked up an Ender 3V2, the first spool of prints went just great (Standard PLA from 3D Printing Canada). Now I’ve changed the filament(Hatchbox), and am extremely frustrated as I keep getting botched prints - first few layers. I’ve tried adjusting the bed multiple times.

My first few layers end up looking like this -

A few question:

1. Is it the filament? Should I give up and get the one I used before?
  2. Am I just messing up the bed levelling? Should I get a BLU touch? Would it eliminate this type of issue? (really hate levelling!)

Signed

@sanjplstic welcome!

It looks like the first layer is ok from what I can see.

I actually like the hatchbox filament. Have you cleaned the surface with alcohol? The glass beds are a bit tricky I don’t find them to always have the best adhesion. I would suggest a very thin layer of glue stick after it is cleaned.

My method is on a clean bed just run a loose zig zag over the bed, not bother trying to cover all the surface just get some down. Then I use a wet cloth or shop towel and use that to thin and smooth out the glue stick over the whole bed. This will dry quickly. Try again.

I would not fiddle with a BL until you get it printing. Then you can decide.

1 Like

Welcome to the world of 3D printing! I’m notorious for my lengthy, detailed posts, so this time I’ll just refer you to one from a couple of weeks ago:

That should hopefully clear things up for you. If not, write back with more details. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It looks to me like the nozzle is a bit too far from the bed.
Perhaps the most helpful mod I’ve done on my Ender (5 - but bed-related stuff is the same on the Ender 3) is to enable manual mesh bed leveling. It works well enough that I’m no longer planning to get a sensor any time soon.
You’ll have to re-flash Marlin, but you would have to do that anyway to configure the sensor.
Once it’s enabled, you select it from the menus, and the printer will move through a series of locations, allowing you to raise or lower the nozzle at each point using the control knob. Use a piece of paper (I use cooking parchment, because it’s thinner than bond) as a feeler gauge to adjust the nozzle so it just touches the paper, then press to go to the next point, etc.
You may need to hack on your g-code, adding
M420 S1
after any G28 (home all axes), because the G28, by default, makes it “forget” that it has a mesh ready to use. The M420 S1 will re-enable it.

I tend to set a small negative z offset, on the order of -0.05mm, on the printer, to compensate for the thickness of the piece of paper I used when doing the levelling.

1 Like

Hard to tell but it looks like you are not close enough to the bed.
Hopefully you upgraded to the yellow bed springs.
I would take the plate off, wash it with soap and water, dry it off, put it back on the printer.
Heat everything up and do your bed leveling.
Once that is set, wipe the plate down with IPA and make sure not to touch it with your fingers.
When I used that glass plate my bed temp was 60 and I found that it required a little extra squish to stick properly.
If you need to, flip the bed over and use some Elmers water washable glue stick.
I always use a skirt so I can double check bed level and live level if necessary.

2 Likes