Printing Using PETG Filament

I am having trouble printing PETG filament it is leaving the prints a lot of separation in the layers I have used heats from 230c to 250C bed temp from 50C to 80C some drooly or stringing but mostly one layer
not sticking to the next layer… I am new at 3d Prinnting Have had good results with PLA I thought I should go to PETG for more flexibility I am Not sure now.

is it possible it’s wet? maybe try drying your filament in an oven for a couple of hours and try again? Also maybe your cooling fan is cooling it too much try running without it?

Thanks for the tips I will try all the suggestions next print

I have never had an issue with Petg. I’ll share my settings that may or not help. I have a direct drive printer keep that in mind.

230ºC-240ºC first layer nozzle temps the others are 240ºC-250ºC Bed first layers 85ºC remainder 85-90ºC

I use 0.8 mm retraction.

Remember retraction will be very different for a bowden tube machine.

I also print in an enclosure. The room temps don’t effect it too much. amaz3d, 3dpc, filaments.ca, great hobbies, solutech, and esun. I have used in the last 5 months with no real issues. I have never bothered to dry the filament and some has been left out for weeks at a time.

Personally I think the enclosure it the big key. You could try just putting a bag over the printer (keep an eye on it during the print) it might make a difference.

When I print PETG, I print on a glass bed using glue stick.
Nozzle 230, bed 70 and cooling fan on at layer 3 and only at 30%.

If the layers aren’t sticking well, my guess is that you’re under-extruding.
Try calibrating your esteps.
When I started using PETG on the Ender 5, the factory value (93) was far too low.
The prints were weak and streaky.
It varies from spool to spool but my latest PETG print, for example, used esteps= 102.
There are lots of videos on youtube showing how to calibrate esteps, but
here’s the procedure I use:

1: Use a ruler and a marker to put a mark on the filament about 120mm “upstream” from the extruder.
2: Measure the distance from the mark to the extruder as accurately as you can, and make a note of it.
3: Extrude 100 mm of filament. (make sure your nozzle is clear of obstacles, so you don’t wind up with a big blob of plastic)
4: Measure the distance from the mark to the extruder, and subtract this from the distance you measured in step 2. This is the amount it actually extruded when asked for 100mm. Call it A
5: You should be able to find the esteps value that your printer is using in its menu system. Lat’s call it E0.
6: Calculate E1, your new esteps value, as E0*100/A.

For example, wth my Ender 5 set to the default of 93, I measured 120.1mm to the mark before I started, and 29.0 after the extrusion.
It extruded (120.1-29.0=)91.1mm of filament, so the target esteps value is (93*100/91.1=)102.08.

I actually set it to 102.00, to avoid overextruding.

Just cut/paste the following into a file called something like ext100PETG.gcode and print the file to do the extrusion.

M104 S240
M109 S240
M83
G92 E0
G1 E100 F100

2 Likes