Prusa i3 MK3S+ Layer Shifting

I seem to be getting this weird Layer Shifting issue with my new i3 MK3S+ - not sure what exactly the issue is (I’ve followed most of Prusa’s recommendations for the issue), but I’m running low on ideas at this point.
Here is an example of the layer shifting;

Hi @ChristianFemia

I cannot blow up the pic to have a really good look at it but is that a layer shift or a layer of underextrustion? It looks pretty clean except for the dark line in the middle.

If you pull it off the bed does it break easily on the line?

It doesn’t break - could the temperature I’m printing at effect that line? I’m just printing at 215°C for the first layer, and 210° for all other layers - it’s just PrusaSlicers default profile.

could be, temp but default should not affect that defined in one area.

if you print the same model again does the defect occur at the same Hight or a different Hight?

outline

I have outlined what I see as a defect, once I blew it up I noticed you are starting to get a second one above.

I am wondering if maybe you have an HVAC duct close to your printer that when it comes on is affecting the temp of your hot end when it’s printing. If you look to the left of the first defect it’s not carried on past the second corner. this looks like it’s more than likely environmental.

2 Likes

Those are the defects I’ve been having - I noticed the same thing happening too my other prints for some L-Beam holders, and they would always happen in the same place. I may try moving my printer into another room - but there should be no fans and vents nearby

ok, No Problem. Lets not change to much at one time, Lets try the simplest solution first.

Try a small print that does show the defect but just slow the print speed down by 10mm/sec and see if the defect changes. if that alters it then go back to normal printing speed but this time increase the print temp by 5 deg. and see if the change occurs again?

We can start dialing in on the issue pretty quickly.

1 Like

Do you have an stl of a small print I can test with? Just unsure what I should try to print

sure let me create one and I will DM it to you

Just going to post a link here you can download it and slice it in prusa slicer

Its about 1/2 inch diameter and 2 inches tall

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sNT8AAL-g3wcgecR6raNZMCXDOtmnpSz/view?usp=sharing

Sorry Jason, your sharing settings for the file doesn’t allow me to open it

I just sent you an email with direct permissions

Just received it - would you first like me to print with my default settings and then adjust speed and temp with prints after it?

yes exactly, print it with your current setting and verify you get the issue.

Sounds good - I’ll keep you updated, thanks for all your help so far!

So oddly I just managed to print this vase in vase mode with no problems

I think Jason is on to this one. The image looks to me like the corner is lifting from the bed. I don’t think it is a shift but where the layers are compressed. I would suggest do as Jason suggests but wash the flex plate with detergent and dry it throughly (detergent not soap, clothes detergent) and wipe with IPA. This should help adhesion. Check for drafts.

Some PLA filament are worse than others sticking to the smooth PEI sheet. If it’s a large surface area print and it’s going to take more than a half hour to print, I found this works best for me.

1. Wash and scrub the PEI sheet with warm water and dish soap using a hand brush, in all directions. Typically I only wash the side I am going to use. If you cannot keep track of which side you washed, then do both sides.
  2. Rinse well and dry with a microfiber cloth. Handle the sheet on the edges.
  3. Lay the sheet on a flat surface and take the PRUSA glue stick and make thin lines separated by an inch, vertical left to right, horizontal top to bottom, and diagonally both ways. Again, only handle at the edges.
  4. With a water damp (more on the wet side) lint free cloth or Kim wipe, make small circular motions on the plate to evenly spread the glue on the surface. Damp enough that the glue does spread, but not so much if you are leaving puddles of water.
  5. Get a cardboard box big enough to cover three sides of the printer, allowing enough space at the rear for the carriage to move rearward, front open. This is to block any draft of cool air around your print from sudden change in temperature. If you have a Lack enclosure like I do, just leave one door open/off.

If you can keep your fingers off the surface, you can print a few times without washing. Just go over the surface again with the damp cloth with glue residue on it.

I used to use 99% IPA, but found that sometimes it would not remove oils from the surface, just smear them.

Hope this helps.