Raspberry pi 400

Ha anyone used a pi 400 to connect to 3d printers and alter firmware? I have fought with connecting a Mac to some printers but the lack of drivers makes it complex.I thought bephaps a pi 400 would be a cheap alternative if it can do it.

I use a couple pi 4’s to run Octoprint for my printers, I am just assuming a pi400 should be able to do it too, just with a keyboard added on.

I’ve seen a plugin for flashing firmware but I’ve never tried it out. Firmware Updater

I also really like how Octoprint lets you access terminal commands for the printers for altering small things.

1 Like

I might reconfigure my network to allow octoprint. can you update firmware through it or do you still need a direct connection?

1 Like

Your PI400 will need to be wired to the printer physically, but the connection from the PC to the PI can be wireless. Unless I’m mistaken!

But you’ll need a cable going into the printer from the PI at all times to feed the printer commands.

It looks like you’ll need a add-on to Octoprint to flash firmware, I haven’t tried it yet but many people online say it works.

If your thinking of running Octoprint full time, there are some really cool advantages and some big drawbacks, but for me the advantages outweigh the drawbacks.

The killer is no PC, apple. The purse is flawless, the sidewinder, no driver, you can mess with home-brew drivers but it is cludge.

I had hoped to use a Pi instead of a PC. I got frustrated by the whole printer many times the lie it is mac comparable is just one of the frustrations.

Actually, I say PC just becuase that is what I am sitting at.
Octoprint is actually browser based! I can access things from my phone if i really wanted to, I just much prefer sitting at my PC.

I’m pretty sure you can get it running with a Mac then just accessing Octoprint from the PI’s IP address.

Sorry I was being dense. I have used octoprint with the purse not the sidewinder. That bloody thing needs a firmware change and I needed a pc for that I was just hoping to bypass buying one for only that. I et what you are saying now. Use the Pi run onto print and connect wirelessly to the printer. I might try that. perhaps a pi zero first or the like.

Thanks!

I assume you have a display connected to your pi 400.
You can install Arduino IDE on the pi 400 and use it to update the firmware.

PiZero is too slow for Octoprint. You need a Pi4 for that. A Pi3 will work too, but the Pi4 is so much superior in every respect and only marginally more expensive. We use a Pi4 as one of our desktop PCs. The only downside to it is that Brother’s printer drivers are not compiled for ARM-based hardware, so to print anything, we send it to an Intel-based PC in the basement and print it from there. Otherwise, all of my wife’s other work get’s done on the Pi4.

I have a Pi400 as well, but I haven’t really had much cause to use it.

The question was about using the 400 to change the firmware on the bloody sidewinder. It says ‘mac’ compatible but like the bogus electrical conformity (complies to the CSA group standard LOL.) It isn’t mac compatible there are no drivers so it simply will not recognize the printer. i was planning on using it to change the firmware. i went with a boot loader instead.

FYI my Pi zero w runs octopi on the prusa just fine. It has for years.

Thanks for the FYI. Everything else I’ve ever read about the Pi Zero line says they’re too light-weight for any real-time applications. Noted.

1 Like