Silicon Carbon print bed

This is generally true, and on my PRUSA, if the heat break gets turned into the heat sink during the nozzle exchange, the live z should be adjusted. This is unlikely to happen. If you are using the same nozzle brand, i.e the nozzle length is the same, no adjustment maybe needed. I switched from E3D nozzle to Microswiss recently and noticed that it is 0.5mm longer, I had to re-afjust live z and back the nozzle away from the bed.

2 Likes

Every time you change the nozzle you need to re calibrate.

The steel nozzles in my experience need a touch more time to heat you can add a pause in the code or just preheat the nozzle. they can take an extra moment to heat fully.

1 Like

Hair spray works for. me less messy than glue sticks

1 Like

Nice. For me, this is clean, 70C. Just sayin…

20211105_065756

This print just finished, and it is welded down right now. In 10 minutes, once it cools a bit, a strong breeze will blow it off

20211105_071020

2 Likes

What happened to Magigoo? Seemed like you guys were pretty stoked on it but the generic version for PLA/PETG/TPU etc hasn’t been in stock for a bit. I have been using it for a while and am definitely a fan.

The bed he has isn’t actually silicon carbide but the little black dots are, for better longevity and I have seen somewhere that the new beds have to be washed well before they will stick. I just flipped mine over and use glue, it works great, sometimes to good but it usually works. I can get several prints out of one application with a little reapplied between prints. Let the bed heat up well and the “old” glue will melt a bit and new glue can be laid down over a bare spot.The hairspray (Auqanet) and glue sticks are the same thing PVA (polyvinlyacetate) or glue.

1 Like

Hey Blair

I agree, I used Magigoo and liked it, was nice because when the bed cooled it came off easy. Biggest problem we had was the pricing. It was going up in price and we had to raise the prices of it because of that. Its sales dropped to the point we were only selling 1 bottle a month and it just wasn’t cost effective from a business perspective anymore. A lot of online places can sell it for cheaper and unfortunately even a difference of $2 a bottle means you either sell it or you don’t.

Chris’s vision was to have a brick and mortor store where we can offer full service to all of our customers, with that comes certain business decisions that have to be made. Due to overhead Brick and mortor is always more expensive to operate over an online warehouse. I could go on with a full thread on this but I am going to leave it there.

2 Likes

Yes that makes perfect sense.
Too bad though. I will always happily spend even more than a whole $2 extra if it means I can buy from you guys instead of some faceless random other retailer. Unfortunately it sounds like that mentality may be a minority though.

I guess I’ll have to find some shady guy on the street to start buying my magic goo from and just shop with you guys for everything else.

1 Like

Hi Blair

Believe me, we hate having to make those decisions. Personally, I want to have a warehouse where I can have one of everything minimum. :slight_smile:

We truly do appreciate our customers and try our best to help everyone. unfortunately, you are also correct that the masses do control the direction and it is a large part of our day maintaining loyalty.

1 Like

And I appreciate your selection, competitive prices and more than anything excellent customer service.
As far as I’m concerned you guys are nailing it. :+1:

3 Likes

thanks, Blair

believe me we truly appreciate it

Gonna tag @chris so he can see it.

1 Like