Smoke Detector Power Shutoff

Found an interesting video online that I thought I would post here.

I know a few of you have systems like this built yourself but this is kind of a ready assemble unit, Good for up to 30 Amps as well.

How significant of a fire risk are 3D printers?

Like anything, if you wire up something on your own and you don’t know what you’re doing is a risk - but for someone using a commercial system with a UL/CSA approved power supply?

I the decade or so I’ve been involved with 3D printers, I’ve only heard of one person who had an issue with their printer, but that was after they swapped out the power supply and put in one they bought on Amazon.

I agree totally, The early 3D printers were much more of an issue than the now “modern(er)” printers. I worked in Restoration for a few years and we had a couple of claims that were blamed on 3D printers. I also made claims caused by a fridge and the most common was sump pumps, so it’s all with a grain of salt.

Bear in mind this is when most people didn’t really understand them but with all that said, I think the risk is no more or less than a DVD player or a toaster. I air on the side of at least providing the information and let everyone make up their own mind. Its plastic heated up and purposely melted to do things with it that we can imagine.

1 Like

One of the big problems is the high temp. of the heater block and having a flood of plastic all over it. The plastic can catch fire, plastic burns but if the printer nozzle and heat break are adjusted properly then floods are much less likely to happen and the fire risk drops. It is always a good practice to never leave the house or other printing location (you don’t have to sit and watch it just keep checking on it to stop a hazard before it gets bad) while printing, just in case.

1 Like