STL not slicing properly

Hi, my name is Kyle and I am having some trouble slicing this diver helmet in Cura. When I slice it, it doesn’t want to print the whole thing, but only small flat parts of it. I think it is because the walls of the model are too thin and when they reach a certain angle the slicer deems them nothing. I cannot change the model because I got it off yeggi. Please help me understand this issue as I have already promised I would print it for my uncle and I have put hours into designing a stand for it.

File:

Slicer:

I have had that happen before. If the walls are less then the line thickness it doesn’t like it.

Ok I just downloaded it and put in Cura 5.1 and it was very large. I had to scale it down to 20% to fit onto the print area but it did slice. How big was it suppose to be.

I’m trying to make it at 7 percent to fit where my uncle wants to put it. I just found the “print thin lines” setting which corrects the issue when slicing, but what is the effect on the actual print? I would just test it but I have very limited filament at the moment.

I don’t use Cura much anymore it doesn’t like my M2 mac. Prusaslicer there is very little difference especially when used with automatic variable layer heights. It just corrects where the fine layers disappear. It thickens that section the variable layer height also does similar but they work very well in combination.

Cura is similar so I would expect similar results.

Thanks a ton!

I always keep the “print fine lines” turned on so that explains why it worked on mine.

1 Like

Agreed, the preset I use for each of my printers has thin detect lines turned on. there is no real downside it is on almost all the time in my case.

Is that Cura 5.0(or newer)? If you go to experimental, there is a setting you might need to enable so you can adjust it, that is called slicing tolerance. If you set it to inclusive(middle is default), it might help a little with your problem. Another thing to try if you are running out of options is to use Autodesk Meshmixer to edit the stl. Once you have downloaded and installed Meshmixer(it’s free😊), open it, click on Import, then select the file you want to modify. Once it has opened, click on the left sidebar option titled Edit. Then click on make solid in the menu that pops up. You’ll probably want to up the solid accuracy and mesh density from their default settings, probably change solid type from Fast to Accurate, maybe open the Advanced menu at the bottom and disable Auto-Repair Result. Those options might need some trial and error. Then the option that you are doing all this for needs to be adjusted. Change the setting called Offset Distance from 0 to a number at or greater than half the diameter of the nozzle you are using. That should make every part of the stl printable. It will of course make the model a little bit bigger, but only by double the number you input into the Offset Distance setting. If fit is critical, you can always scale it down the neccesary amount in cura with negligible effect on the editing just done. Anyway, once you have the settings where you want them(hitting update will allow you to preview your changes), hit accept, and once the computer has completed the computing, two file names will pop up in the bottom right corner. One will be originalfilename.stl, and the other will be originalfilename.stl(solid). Click on the solid one and then go to the left sidebar menu and click export. Input the name and save to the desired file folder, then slice and print. Hope this helps!

Autodesk meshmixer does not seem to be available for mac :frowning: . I applied the Cura settings on a 7 percent scale and it prints the walls, but they seem to be extremely low quality. I tried seeing what it would look like at a 15 percent scale but Cura crashes every time I try and preview. Also, I have Cura version 4.13.1

Well shoot, about Meshmixer. I’d definitely recommend updating to Cura 5.0 or newer. In my experience it does noticeably better with printing things thinner than the nozzle than any of the Cura versions before it. If that doesn’t help, perhaps I could find time to fix the stl for you.

A big welcome to both of you new users @MicroFarmModels and @MeIsYes, Welcome to the Forum I’m glad you both found us in our corner of the web.

Hope to see you here often.
Jason

Meshmixer used to be free but I’m not so sure anymore. There was an older “free” version on the web somewhere.

I will try Cura 5.1 and I would be most pleased if you could help with fixing the stl because my computer keeps crashing so I cannot tell if these settings are improving the situation and I do not want to spend 3 days and half my filament for on one test

If you scale the print down that drastically you might need to lower the layer height to 1.2 or about to keep the detail. To scale that far something has to go IE: detail.

Yes, it’s still free. I downloaded the updated version the other day from Autodesk.

Would you be able to include a link? Also, I have a MacBook so hopefully its compatible.

Apparently Autodesk is no longer supporting Meshmixer, but they are leaving it available for download. Can’t download it for Mac anymore though, because there was apparently a security risk in its installer as of a year ago, and they still haven’t fixed it and put it back up for download, so they probably won’t ever. I got your file finished, I am working on uploading it to dropbox, and then I will share it. It’s too large a file to send any other way, even in a compressed folder.

Here you go. I scaled it to your desired size while I was at it. Let us know how it works!

1 Like

THANK YOU! THat is AMAZING! I’m going to print it later tonight and I will show you the before and after tomorrow morning! :smiley: My uncle will be so pleased!

If you are having issues with Cura on a mac (as I am) try Prusa slicer its free it has detect thin walls. It is 100% stable and exceptionally fast.

I used to use meshmixer but when they added much of it to Fusion i stopped.