Stretching, scaling models: introduces new fatal print errors

i have an flsun v400; the max printable Z height is 410 mm;
i have been printing usually around 235, pretty decent success rate;
when i try to scale z ( snap or uniform scaling ); the success rate drops dramatically;
my theory , see the photo below, is that the scaling introduces new fatal print errors;
it seems these errors were present in the original 235 prints but were small enough that they were “printed over”;
when scaled up, the errors , enlarged with the scaling, were significant enough to defeat the print;
is this correct ?
i used to simply scale from 235 to 400, nothing else;
if my thesis is correct then it seems i need to use tools to correct the up-scaled mesh;
cura has mesh tools to “fill simple holes” ( which is what i think is present in the photo below );
meshmixer has some “repair” features, as does Prusa Slicer;
does anyone have a recipe of steps they recommend using when doing this upscaling ?
as a side note; i used to use “simplify model” in Prusa before “fix using Netfabb” and then exporting to meshmixer to “fix all” and then finally to Cura to generate the g-code; but it seems that the Prusa option to “simplify” , while sounding good, is actually deterimental, so i dont use it anymore and go back and redo my old model versions from scratch without it;
thoughts ?

I am going to need to give this some thought. I personally have not encountered anything like this. It is odd for sure. Sometimes when something is stretched it changes overhangs etc that cause issues that the non stretched did not. Typically the slicer notices this.

Does the non scales model print well?

I am assuming the think odd look to the strands is the shrink thing silk filaments do?

1 Like

the non-scaled , original models printed well, all of them, different models;
it is true all of this is with silk pla filament printed at 200 mm/s @ 205 C;
perhaps as i max out my delta to it’s x,y,z capabilities i am introducing too much vibration ?

I don’t think so. It looks like a slicing error to me. I am assuming you scaled in in the slicer? Perhaps using a different slicer or use something like mesh mixer to change it and export it again?

I am grasping here, these are just guesses.

I typically print my own designs and when I need a change I usually go back and alter the design itself. on occasion I scale to just make it fit better but often only slightly 5% maybe 10% at the most.

I don’t think I have ever tried more than this.

What % are you using and how?

1 Like

well, when i upscale models, i usually start with a successfully printed model, then uniform scale to something that looks pleasant to my eye (generally that means how big or small the result is), then often experiment snap scaling Z axis to take advantage of my printer’s exceptional Z height ( 410) ; the uniform scaling can be 150 % or so;
what i haven beeen doing is going thru a number of repair steps After all that scaling;
will do so from now on;
at the moment i cant get any new g-code files to my delta, not thru mainsail and moonraker , not thru micro-sd, not thru usb thumb drives (drives all FAT32) and am working with the manfacturer on quasi firmware resets; thankfully there seems a path to do so , so am optimistic;
so at the moment i can’t verify my theory

eek you have not had a fun time with the flsun. I have not been having many issues with mine, it has wanted a new version of moon raker I but loaded it from the web page for the printer.

I can’t really fathom what other issue could cause that kind of stringing but a bad tool path. Maybe someone brighter than I will see something I am not.

well i am in a pickle with the printer; i still cant get any new input g-code files to the printer;
even after a firmware reset per the manufacturer instructions;
i think i will just have to enter each g-code instruction via the mainsail browser console; i figure after a day or so i might finish one of my bigger new g-code inputs :rofl: :rofl:
and THEN i wouldnt even have a file for repeat print :rofl:

i like the printer, it is worlds better than my first printer anycubic korba plus;
i am tempted to buy another V400 but that doesnt really make sense given this failure and no recourse;
a recent scan of other printers in this feature-cost range doesnt yield anything that stands out;
maybe i have no recourse but to wait for another desirable printer to make it’s way to market and just use my current V400 to print from models stored in it’s history;
question : is there any other way to introduce a new g-code file into that history other than actually printing ? maybe the first question might be: Where is that history stored ?

hmmm, something “systematic” happened not long ago that seems preventing my uploading g-code files; you mention a new version of moonraker; i cant find any way to do get that , even going thru everything on the printer web page; i did find a printer.cfg and a firmware.bin;
might you please send me a link that you might have used ?

The V400 does not use genuine Klipper - it uses a forked version.

You should be contacting Vlsun to get help with your problems.

Sorry.

i believe i have solved the problem; i suspected that somewhere along the chain i was running out of space; the mainsail interface exposes a section called “GCODE FILES”;
what i found there was all my successful previous prints, their sizes and a “space available of 22.5 MB”;
ouch, my usual gcode files these days are often 300 MB+…
so i deleted a few older files and refreshed the page and presto the amount available increased up to 4+GB;
they need fix that by adding a detailed message to the effect of " out of space ";
then i tried uploading a 340 MB gcode file thru cura directly via IP to the printer and it works, that same file was constantly failing before;
when the upload fails, there is no detail message other than “Upload of file failed”;
the GCODE section in mainsail strongly suggests that the GCODE files are stored in the destination root directory;
as an aside the FLSUN support should have suggested this fix; instead they directed me to a Youtube video on how to re-image the speeder pad ; problem was that the important prompts in the video were all in chinese , which i cant read;

note, to this cura direct upload you first need to goto cura marketplace and download a couple “add-ons”;
maybe just the “moonraker upload” would be sufficient

1 Like

Hmm I usually delete old files from mine. Just an odd habit I have across everything. .Backup and archive delete.

I have not really had many problems with mine. It pulls prints off the bed on occasion (damn Delta scrape) but generally it prints well and fast. I do recover or force reload software from the web page here and there. I wonder if that would solve your issues, a hard software reload?

yeah i should probably delete most or all of those previous print gcode files, can no longer identify what they are linked to as the final product; at least not reliably;
before all this mess i was “pulling” the gcode files from the mainsail interface option “Upload and Print”;
then thru this diagnosis i went polar and tried to push the gcode files “up” from cura; that now works fine but then the only real copy is on the speeder pad archive;
so i need to also save a local copy, but then things can get out of synch;
still no real joy on the microsd front (flsun tells me no-larger than 16GB capacity but other venues sugges t no less than 32 ?!
likewise the usb thumb drives are a no-go, their gcode files do not show up on the speeder pad “print” listing**;
But, i now have an avenue so i am relatively happy ;
as an aside the flsun instructions, and githubs, for re-firmwareing is one big confusing mess;
someone needs to lay out what components do what and which ones might need refirmwaring and how to do each one and in what order

** havent yet checked whether i can use the mainsail interface to access a plugged in usb drive to the speeder pad and its gcode files thereon

I personally am not big on fiddling with printers. I just need them to work reliably. I rarely mess with firmware or anything else.

Personally I don’t bother keeping Gcode files. I have the model file that is usually all I need. If I need multiple copies I just re send the printed code. No big deal.

Size limitations is typically to do with the format of the chip (SD or thumb) often printers are limited to 16gb. some will read larger but if it only will read Fat 32 there is a limit EX fat is not. It just says hey to keep the price down we used a cheaper board. it’s not really a big deal. Just ‘clean up’ more often.

the web interface is the real heart of the printer it almost doesn’t need a touch pad at all. The gcode files tab. I also remove the records of how long how much filament ext.

1 Like

The only change I made at all was to increase the probing points. I don’t run it very often so it being slow is no concern accuracy is.

Web interface- Machine (left side bottom) find printer.cfg open it. line 165 ‘calibrate and bed mesh’. Find bed mesh heading look down to locate 'round probe count and change it to 9 # 9 * 9 from 7 # 7 * 7. I also changed the samples from 3 to 5 for better averages. (line 177 under the heading probe.)

(I had to put spaces in or the forms software interoperates a star as a command)

1 Like

well you have gotten this process down to a science moreso than i ;
i had increased the probing in the same way some time ago to the same numbers you mentioned;
never really understood why the defaults werent as we have now set; takes marginally more time ;
for others who might read this, make sure the changes are in the template printer.cfg and not any of the others that are spawned therefrom; i recommend adding the old/original values as comments on the same lines as the changes

[quote=“kitedemon, post:13, topic:6937”]
ly am not big on fiddling with printers…[/quote]
Nor am I. When I buy something brand new, I expect it to work correctly for at least a year before something breaks. The V400 I have worked great for a month, then all kinds of bad things started happeniing, and still happen even today. I, personally, am saving my money up to get what others are calling a pretty much plug n play… the Bambu P1P. Less money than the V400 and better results. Kinda sad, but hey, what are you going to do/

Cheers, my friend. =Ed=

Ed, have you considered the Bambu X1? They say the lidar is really a lot better than the BL thingy they use. I have a Prusa XL in the works, it is paid for and should be shipping soon. I felt I needed the size. 14 inches square print area.