Temporary Backup Power

Several time when I have a long print, one or two days or longer, We have a power outage lasting a second or so. Immediately the printer stops and the print is ruined. The latest one was a complicated dragon print that was over two days into a two day 17 hour print. I have at times been able to reslice and finish the print then glue the parts together. However this happens often enough that it is becoming a problem. I estimate that over the last few years I have wasted more filament and time (mine isn’t worth much) than the cost of a battery backup ay around $100.00. My machine is a Creality CR10 pro and has a rating of 480 watts at 120 volts. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks for your input
Tom

1 Like

We get short glitches like that as well and I use a cheap UPS from Canada Computers like:

I don’t know if I’d recommend running more than one printer on one of these but I do run a printer and Raspberry Pi along with a monitor on them without any issues.

I also have one on my Internet Modem and WiFi router and it eliminates the occasional glitches there as well.

1 Like

Hey Mike Thanks for the response. i will enquire about that right away.
Tom

1 Like

+1 for any UPS you can get, I have a dinky one that lasts for about 30 mins running two printers (ender 3 and cr10) during power flickers

Thanks TurkeyOnRye. I have gone ahead and ordered one from Amazon that should be on my door step on Sunday. I am anxious to try it out and will be doing so as soon as it arrives.
Tom

1 Like

new toys are exciting, coffee and gifts, what a way to spend a sunday

@mykepredko - what are you using to monitor it? In my head I’m imagining a scenario where if the power fails and the UPS battery % drops below a certain threshold that somehow Octoprint could be signaled to pause the print and shutdown the printer and the rPi gracefully so the print could be resumed later. Not sure if that’s possible but worth investigating…

Nothing is monitoring the UPS. As was discussed in the Original Post, we get momentary (one or two second) power glitches that the UPS handles without causing any power interruptions in the printer (and home network hardware).

If you have power outages longer than that, then you’ll need to look at a more substantial solution.