Tolerance testing

I have been working to fine tune my printer lately and I have been trying to get my tolerances tightened up. I did a flow cube and got that pretty close to perfect at 85% flow. Then I printed out Angus @ Makers Muse’s tolerance gauge and found that 0.5 and 0.4mm gaps release perfectly and 0.3mm needs a little force to break it free but then it spins nicely. 0.3mm, 0.2mm, and 0.15mm gaps are seized tight. What should I be looking at to try and get those tolerances a bit better? Running a CR10s ProV2 with Micro Swiss DD and all metal hotend if it matters…

Not that i have your answer, but for info. Your useing what sized nozzle and slicer?

.4mm nozzle and Cura (though I’m flirting with PrusaSlicer)

.2mm and less are frequently fused on those devises. That is a very small distance for printers that are not really precision machines.

There is a slicing tolerance under experimental that may help you , Here is a link to a much better explanation than I could do

1 Like

Super helpful! Thanks! I’ll give those a try!!

LOL, I clearly spend way too much time looking up weird settings… LOL

1 Like

I have printed Angus’ tolerence test and didn’t have much issue with the 0.2 the 0.15 wasn’t really free and didn’t quite break free but wasn’t completely fused either. I also am able to print sunshines engine and the MM castle with no issues.

Yeah I was going to attempt the castle as well but I won’t bother til I can lick the tolerance gauge. What did you do to dial it in to that level?

In my case the tolerance was really making sure the extruder was right. E steps and multiplier. The engine the challenge was bed adhesion, it has very little contact. The castle for me the over hanges was the hardest part. I had to tweek the fan settings.

1 Like

I tried the bengine and was able to get it to print with a brim. I don’t think that’s cheating since it a clearance test rather than an adhesion test.

I think it worked.

It looks a little rough. It isn’t easy like a benchy boat. I had to tinker to get enough adhesion to print it without a brim. I had no issues with the rest but the brim took me a while to get it tuned perfectly. It isn’t really a benchmark, the benchy boat is perfect. It allows easy side by side testing. Speed and quality are compared. Having a benchmark that is too hard means some machines won’t produce it. Then can’t be compared.

The engine is however a great test of the printers abilities. It is hard, if it were easy it would not test the printer at all.

I agree, A test print has to be “complete-able” or it will not test anything. Most of the tests are designed to let you see the weaknesses in your printer, It’s not a pass-fail test, Its an examination and tweak to make it better.