Tool Holder Creality

Printed this but I dont think it will be used, what happened?

Assuming you printed it so the creality logo is facing you on the bed, It looks like the X-axis is pretty good. You have an issue on your Y axis (bed usually). It’s a loose belt of the gear that is slipping on the stepper gear.

I think you may have a couple of things going on here but that’s the biggest one. I would print a calibration cube to confirm. You should be able to see/feel the looseness of the belt, If it’s tight you are going to have to dive into the mechanical a little more, Bearings/Motor/Binding.

Where do i find a calibration cube?

Hey there,

There are a bunch of different versions of the calibration cube on places like thingiverse or printables. I have linked the standard trusty 20mm calibration cube below.

Looks to my eyes like you might have some extrusion problems in your print as well, there are a lot of little holes in the top surface. Measure out 120mm from the beginning of your extruder and then extrude 100mm of filament, check how much filament was extruded and then put that into the calculator below. This should tell you what your new estep value should be. This just tells your printer how much it should move the extruder in order to extrude a certain amount of filament.

https://www.th3dstudio.com/estep-calculator/

Which picture are you talking about please?

I see now. But my latest print worked out ok

k.

1 Like

Thank you for that, I will print it out shortly. When you say extrusion problems do you mean when the filament is coming out of the print head?

Here you go…

your sides look pretty good on the cube, Top has some issues.

The cube looks accurate enough, Can you confirm its 20x20x20?

Yes it is.

ok, so it must be slicer settings, What slicer are you using and I can give you a couple of things to check

Ultimaker cura 5.3.0

ok, I will review the following settings

Retractions - 2mm
Wall line width = to nozzle size
compensate wall overlap should be checked
Top Layers - 4 min
Skin overlap percentage - 15%
Minimum Extrusion Distance Window - 2mm
ensure coasting is not checked

Let me know if this improves the top layer.

Hello there,

Yes extrusion problems would be to do with the amount of filament being put out by the hotend. On your calibration cube the sides look quite nice, but do you see how there is a large gap all the way around the “Z”, this is usually indicative of some under-extrusion or some slicer related issues.

How many top layers do you have set in your slicer? Sometimes if there are too little it can cause the print to have gaps in the top layer, try turning this value up by a couple of layers and see if that helps at all.

Your Groot print looks lovely, he’s just chillin on the nice warm build plate :rofl:

Thanks,
Matthew

Hi

I will check tomorrow my settings but i have been using the default settings.

Whats the nozzle size?

Hi struggling to find those settings, are they for the Ultimaker Cura?

yes, they are for Cura, You may have to turn on advanced settings (red circle) to see them however if you use the search bar (yellow highlighter) Here:
Cura Options

You should be able to find them,

Yesterday I installed the latest Cura and printed the cube again but it turned out exactly the same. I am going to tighten my belt that runs left to right (or whatever its called)! If that doesnt work then I will try the settings.
Once again thanks.

ok, thanks, It looks pretty clean other than the top. At first glance may look like under extrusion however you are not seeing it anywhere else on the print. Possibly the flow may be different on top layers but that’s more of an accidental change and I do not believe you have those options turned on.

Just thinking out loud.