Uneven filament roles

It seems to me, from some video I saw, that most filament is made the same way more or less.

When filament is rolled onto it’s spools the method appears to be a screw driven guide that runs back and forth across the spool face laying the filament down. Why then do some brands come with nice even coils and others seem to be almost tangled. Not saying it really matters but the potential for a print to fail because the filament jams on the spool due to poor spool winding is clearly possible. Any ideas.

It can be caused by a bunch of factors, some of the big ones are:

• Spooling speed
  • How the filament is cooled during extrusion (i.e. tensions and whatnot inside the polymer)
  • The tolerance of the guide
  • The quality of the raw materials

Unfortunately filament manufacturing is still much more of an art than a science. Not sure if that will ever change, hopefully it will…

It often describes a level of care. The really perfect spools really show a commitment and level of detail that the messy spools don’t have. Not saying that the filament is better or worse. My experience shows that the neat rolls have better color consistency roll to roll over time and better moisture and size constancy.

1 Like