Well, it's finally happened...the question is what do I do now?

I don’t personally print a whole lot, so I’ve yet to experience the majority of the issues that one experiences when dealing with a Creality designed printer, until now. Had my first super clog yesterday. I’ve got a small Ender 2 Pro. Now that this happened, it’s been determined that its probably best that I replace the hotend. If I’m going to replace the hotend, might as well upgrade the hotend. And while I’m upgrading the hotend, might as well upgrade the Extruder to a direct drive. Can you see where I’m going with this? The upgrades are going to end up costing about the same to even more then what I paid for the printer. So the question is, what do I do now? I purchased the printer to use purely as a research tool (strictly for work purposes :grimacing: ) so it’s never going to be something that is only going to be used more then only occasionally. On one hand it would be a great learning experience to do all those upgrades, however technology has come leaps and bounds since purchasing the printer - so I’m leaning towards just upgrading to a printer with a larger build surface which is a little bit more advanced then the Ender 2 Pro. I am so torn right now.

I’m new to 3D Printing and my printer clogged a lot at one time. I was having a bad patch with damp filament however I got it cleared each time by going into the nozzle from the top . I removed the line into the nozzle end and heated a thin wire with a fold in the end the heated wire melted it’s way into the clog and cooled a bit then I pulled it out with the clog on it. To the experienced people here this be may seem silly “I hope not “ it works so in this case the end justified the means . Just a thought. :facepunch::sunglasses:

Well, I might be in the minority, but I would probably just buy another stock hotend if the clogged one can’t be salvaged. I’ve wrecked a couple hotends over the years, and I still am only running the Creality MK8 style hotends.

Granted, I don’t really print exotic filaments. PLA is by far the majority, with a bit of TPU, PETG, and the odd bit of wood infused PLA. With filaments like that, I don’t need a high performance hotend. I have more printer horsepower than I can keep busy, so I keep print speeds pretty low also.

As far as what to do, like Raven said, are you sure the hotend is unrecoverable? Is it just a clog, or did you have one of those big melted plastic blobs encasing the hotend? If the latter, don’t ask me how I know, but you can likely recover the hotend. It’s pretty much a given that the thermistor and heater cartridge will need to be replaced, but those can be had for pretty cheap. The biggest nuisance is fishing the new wires in, which is best done by pulling the new in with the old one being removed.

If it’s just an interior clog, that should be very easy to fix. After removing the hotend from the printer, I’d grab the heat sink with a pliers, and carefully heat the assembly up with a little butane torch. Once everything is to about 180°, assuming PLA, everything should disassemble easily, and removing the clog shouldn’t be difficult.

I guess that’s a bit long winded, but pretty much summerizes my thoughts about it.

I had a couple of hotend floods when starting out and what I couldn’t peal off I burned it off with a small torch. It is all metal so heat (depending on the type it is) wont do much to it. If the thermister and cartridge are fused into it then they will probably need replacing.

P.S. I also clean out clogged tips with the torch and a pokey thing.

Well let’s just whoever built/manufactured the printer didn’t do the best job, and once the hotend was pulled apart, putting it back together will cause more issues then its worth. And I think I’ve just outgrown the printer as well - just not sure how far I want to go down the rabbit hole of upgrades! :smiley:

1 Like

Is this a Boden tube printer???

Yep, Ender 2 Pro. Just a baby printer. :grimacing:

Use this fix and hot end failures/clogs will go away.

1 Like

Thats an interesting mod - may have to consider that if I decide to go with a stock hotend again.