What filament is recomended

hi there. im instaling a hero me duct on my ender 3 and i printed the base in pla. the base seems quite strong but when i print the bltouch mount it breaks when the screws aren’t even tight. so my question is what filament should i use? ive got nylon, petg, abs, and soft pla or tpu.

if it’s breaking and the design is good then there’s a problem with the printer. can you post a picture of the bracket? it might just be a print orientation problem.

I agree, PLA doesn’t generally break that easy. Generally anything around the hot end I will do in PETG, ABS or NYLON. 99% of the time its PETG

I reccommend petg for its heat resistance, ease of printing (except for stringing) and i believe lack of off gassing during printing.

If its breaking it could be a sign your filament is too wet, or perhaps the orientation wasnt optimal. A picture would be 1000 words especially here for further pointers :slight_smile:

I would agree with @Dr.Marvin. PetG or nylon if you can print it well. Heat resistance especially printing nylon in the future.

A print breaking could be water, again I agree, but could also temp related. Given PLA tends to resist absorbing water I would expect too low print temps. I would not use PLA anyway it will melt with the higher temperature materials. Be careful of ABS the off gassing is not healthy at all.

1 Like

thanks for all the ideas. in the morning i tried my nylon but it was to wet, ive put it in the oven for a few hours and now it seems to be better. keep yall updated

1 Like

ok ive tried the nylon and it warped to bad to fit. Currently doing petg and im very impressed in the detail i think ill be buying more in the future.

1 Like

Nylon is tricky to print with. So ive read, kinda why i havent tried printing with it yet. I believe you almost need a drybox feed system if its a longer print, beacuse of how fast itll absorb moisture. I dont recall if a heated chamber helps or not too.

I print nylon in an enclosure. It can be a pain but it is really nice when it is right.

1 Like

Nylon does need to be absolutely dry and then fed out of a dry box. Some types are so sensitive that they can pick up to much moisture in the travel distance between the dry box and the extruder. Shrouding the filament, to limit air exposure, between the the box and extruder is a good idea.

2 Likes