Whats the next "primer" you would like to see

Hi Everyone

I am kind of liking the whole write up a primer on a topic idea.

Lets here your ideas on what I can do up my next one on. If there is something you were just curious about or needed a bit of more information. Have a look at my previous primer; What does "start Gcode" do? - #6 by Jason

I am thinking maybe a rundown on Duet config.g file. Maybe a couple on Marlin, one for the configuration.h and another for the configuration_adv.h.

Looking for some more ideas on stuff I can post. Help me out here :slight_smile: .

Off the cuff;

• Advanced slicer work, specifically supports in challenging places.
  • Frame/gantry/bed squaring and re-squaring
  • Tuning flow rate, acceleration, LinAdv, JunctDev, etc
  • PETG & You, An introduction for the PETG hesitant.
1 Like

nice, like where this is going

1 Like

A bit of a story on the different firmwares. Such as where to find them (smoothieware, reprap, klipper, marlin 1.0 vs 2.0 and im not aware of any others). Also what you need yo use them (klipper needs a pi) (marlin 2.0 needs Visual Studio code instead of arduino i.o)

Id be happy to add my $0.02 on marlin 2.0 when one of us makes a post about it.

Other ideas could be

Flexables, citing examples of what is available in store, what the different hardnesses mean? How to care for it (how critical does humidity effect it), also tricks/settings that would have better success with the different types of flexables.

Im not sure if this was what you were asking for but ideas in my head.

Hey @Dr.Marvin

thanks exactly what Im looking for, Bunch of ideas to get the juices running.

Jason

Perhaps mentions of different filaments that are offered at 3dpc, with the idea being some projects those particular materials would be best for. Id say leaning on materials that arent abs, pla or petg as those are very common/easyish to use in conparison to say nylon or PC.

As a baseline id use a stock ender 3 and say what needs to be considered or required to use the different types of filaments. Some may need a drybox, and others may need all metal hotends, or even enclosures (or draft shields, though id be curious for the higher temp materials, as to how effective it is in use)

2 Likes

Also cause i saw it come up.

Saftey

Like saftey from fumes, from interaction with 3d printing like resins, and during 3d printing.

Fire saftey ideas and systems

How to spot or correct poor electrical saftey hazards.

Eye protection reminder

How to safley remove prints so you dont cut yourself.

3 Likes

I think that seeing some safety guides is always valuable. It isn’t always a nasty thorny issue but some simple steps can greatly improve the issues. I think it is very important people work safely not only for them selves but the community. If there are serious safety issues the inevitable governmental response is regulations. I would like to see that day postponed.

I’d also like to see a condensed discussion on materials. Strength is a terrible term, a discussion on stiffness, impact resistance, deformation resistance. I get tired of PLA isn’t as strong as … it is a slippery term. I’d much rather see pla is less flexible than … and discuss on a more accurate field.

5 Likes

I agree, think safety is going to be a big one, Maybe I’ll get @Jeffc177 to give me a hand with it on the resin side. don’t print at all with resin but the detail still amazes me.

2 Likes

We don’t really know the long term effects of raw resin to be honest. I have read a few studies along the way while working with resins of all kinds and a few things remain the same. Always wear the proper PPE (gloves, eye wear, mask, and protective clothing) Prolonged use of resins without the proper safety can lead to rashes, chemical burns, and in some cases, allergic reactions. I know this all sounds worrisome, but if safety is followed, resin is well worth it in the end. I have been printing with resin for some time now, and have had zero issues.

4 Likes

I like the idea of info related to the different firmware. I only have experience with Marlin (1 and 2) but I’d like to hear about the other one.

Dr.Marvin, why do you say Marlin 2.0 needs Visual Studio? I’m using it with Arduino IDE (1.8.13).

2 Likes

Perhaps i was wrong. I thought for some reason you need visual studio to compile marlin 2.0, something about compatability with arduino ide.

I looked into it. Arduino ode can compile, but is apparently limited to AVR, DUE and Teensey ++. I am not really familiar with these, and assume they are different chips. From a practical sense im mot sure how to identify what chips are common with different boards, but id be happy to learn more about it if you have more input.

1 Like

Good point. My two printers are using an 8 bit processor (AtMega2560). To compile a 32 bit control board the processor need to be added to the Arduino IDE, possible only if the vendor provide it. I didn’t check if they provide it. I might have to switch to Visual Studio at some point…

2 Likes

A good primer on the Jyers UI version of Marlin firmware for the Ender 3 V2 would be nice.

I actually loaded it on one of V2s a week or so back and rolled it out to another 20 machines over the weekend. I have to say he did a nice job on the firmware and would agree, that will be anther primer in my future.