X end stop not working

Hi guys,

My stops on the B1 stopped working a little while back. The printer is barely 6 months old and the service support is disappointing to say the least. I tried updating the firmware, but I don’t think I’m doing something right because nothing is happening. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Zee

Welcome to the forum, Glad you found us.

Are you comfortable counting and using pronterface? I would connect it if you are able to run an M115 while you are activating and deactivating the home switches independently of the printer. Find out first if it’s the switch, the wiring or the mainboard. It’s unusual to have all the stops stop working at one time, This would be very rare.

If you are able post up a video of the issue and we can have a look.

Past that try to home each axis independently from the console, Home X, Home Y and HomeZ, NOT home all. With this, we know which axis is failing and can troubleshoot more effectively.

ok so I got somewhere.
All stops work except X. When I gave it the home command, it got to the end of the track and then just tried to power through the stop like it wasn’t there. I tried uploading a video, but I wasn’t able to for some weird reason.

Figure that one out with pronterface. First time using it so I’m not 100% sure on everything still. I typed in the M115 command, but I haven’t got a slightest clue with regards to what I’m looking at, or looking for.

ok, we are making progress, this is good

I am so sorry, I did give you the wrong command, You are going to want to run the M119 NOT the M115

The output will look similar to the one below.

> M119
Reporting endstop status
x_min: open
y_min: open
z_min: TRIGGERED
z_probe: open
filament: open

When you hold the X endstop and run the command again it should change to what is below

> M119
Reporting endstop status
x_min: TRIGGERED
z_min: TRIGGERED
z_probe: open
filament: open

If this is the case then 100% of your end stop is working. It would be best if you verified that the little metal leaver is in place and working, Also verify that there is not a cable blocking it from triggering.

If the status of the end stop does not change then the problem is either wiring or the end stop itself has failed.

ok so this is what I got from the M119 command with the Xstop depressed.

Reporting endstop status
x_min: open
z_min: open
z_probe: TRIGGERED

I can hear the stop engaging, and there’s no stoppage. I also don’t believe its the switch itself because I just replaced it with the suspicion it was the switch and nothing’s changed. I think the next thing on my to do list is to look at the wiring. It stopped working after a very long print (111hrs if I recall), so it wouldn’t surprise me if one of the solder joints fatigued.

Yes I would agree, Its could be place where its plugged in however if it was working before we can rule that one out

With a print that long the X min will only get triggered at the beginning of the print so I would agree, some solder joint has failed or the wiring was rubbing on the Z axis leadscrew and wore through it to cause a failure.

Let us know how it works out

So I noticed that the type C cable end on my printer is bent. I ordered a new one, but I’m still not confident that would fix the problem. I’ve gone over all the connectors that have anything to do with the x stop with a multimeter, and they all work fine. The only other thing is maybe doing a firmware update, but I’m not sure how to go about that. I’ve tried it, and it doesn’t seem to want to take.

generally speaking, the firmware will not cause the issue you are seeing, I strongly feel the issue is more than likely in the end-stop or the wiring.

Most commonly on the artillery printers, the issue would be in the flat ribbon cable that ran up the Z axis. There is a daughter card on both ends of it, unfortunately, multiple points of failure.

You would have to look carefully at the ends of the ribbon cable to verify the connections are not broken.