'Z' travel limited on my CR10?

Hello, I have a 6yr old CR10 S4 (400mmX400mm) and recently updated the MB to an SKR 1.4Turbo with TMC2209 drivers and a TFT 35 display. I’m in the process of calibrating my printing volume. I’m trying to move the ‘Z’ up to its’ highest point but it stops 1/3rd of the way. I ask it to move 10mm and it moves 2mm. It also takes about 30secs to move 2mm?? It stops vertical movement at about 4" even though it says it has moved 400mm. Obviously something isn’t set correctly in Marlin but I’m not sure what it is. I’ve watched so many YT vids but no one addresses this. I’m so discouraged especially since the printer was flawless to this point. Any help is appreciated but would like to know the fix in Marlin and NOT using G-Codes. Thank you

I’ll take an educated guess at it but I have neither a CR10 nor deep familiarity with Marlin…

There are different threaded rods for the Z-Axis with different thread pitches. I’m wondering if Marlin thinks you have the coarser pitch which requires fewer turns to move a given distance?

From what I’ve been able to find, the line that needs to be changed in Marlin is:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,XXXX.XX,723.38}

1 Like

LEGOManiac, I agree with all you’ve said. Referring to “#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,XXXX.XX,723.38}”. The only problem is, I don’t know what speed to set the ‘Z’… which from what I understand will be fine tuned later. I’m reluctant to increase and causing damage to something. I’m trying the RepRap Calculator (https://blog.prusaprinters.org/calculator_3416/#stepspermmbelt) but can’t figure out where to get “Driver microstepping” value? I researched the driver I’m using (TMC2209) and motor and they don’t provide any values for driver microstepping. Now what?

Microstepping is usually 8 or 16 microsteps per step. On my laser engraver, which I made myself, the stepper drivers have jumpers that I positioned to select the microstep rate. However to reduce costs and save space, most 3D printer controllers have the stepper motor drivers built-in and the microstep rate is either hard wired or set through software. You’d have to check your controller to see if it uses jumpers.

However, you can check it safely by turning off your printer, manually moving your Z axis to the middle of it’s travel range, then turning on the printer again. Set a microstep value of 16 and then use the control panel to move the Z-axis up or down 10mm. If 16 is correct, it will move 10mm. If 8 is correct, it will move 20mm. By starting in the middle of the travel range you can be sure you won’t break anything.

1 Like

Problem fixed. Yes, Axis step per unit was not correct but the real problem was firmware not updating the MB and TFT mode background settings were incorrect. Thanks to everyone for your help.