Anyone running a BIQU H2 Extruder?

After fighting with my Ender 3 max (yet again) for hotend and extruder issues … I decided to throw the dice and grab one of these. From what I’ve seen on youtube if you get a good one then they are great, if you get a lemon … well, it’s a lemon!

I was considering the Micro Swiss dual gear and the crealtiy dual gear on the 3d printing Canada site, but after trying about 4 times this week to get in touch with PJ to ask about them and not getting call backs I gave up as I can’t get to the store during hours when he’s in to ask in person and ordered a BIQU H2 from Amazon instead as it give me better extruder and hot end all in one solution.

Is anyone else here running one of these?

watching closely. I’m starting to have trouble with my print head. They are mostly aluminum and hard to work on because everything is tiny and inside a box. I decided for these 2 printers that I’ll switch to a different hot end system

1 Like

I’m running the Micro Swiss - I haven’t had any issues with it other than it’s a real pain to get cooling flow around it (although that can be said for most hot ends).

1 Like

I have one of my print head set up with a volcano now it works well but it’s all still too hard to work on.

Making some progress. Ignore the horrible print for the mount … I didn’t even try to make it pretty LOL, but I did print it in ~ 1 hour. Annoying thing is that it looks like none of the wires are going to be long enough for my Ender 3 Max :frowning: The only one that’s long enough is the CR Touch. Going to have to get creative and probably build some extensions, decided to give up for the night.

Didn’t like that setup … so I’ve started from scratch again. That mount blocked the fan too much with the CR touch mount. I’ll update when I get things closer to finalized :slight_smile:

Hey @Gerk

Keep us updated on the progress, Is it a difficult install or just the fact you have to design your own install bracket?

@Jason Not a tough install (aside from the fact that none of the wiring was long enough). It’s just that the Ender 3 Max is a bit different than all of the other Ender series where the hot end is held – slightly different bolt placements, etc. I found exactly 2 brackets that others have made, and neither worked out very well so I had to remix my own. The same for fan mounts. I also have a CR Touch and not a BL Touch, so that’s another oddball as the bracket to mount that needs to be slightly different. Another challenging bit is the extruder comes over to the right about 2mm too far so that it interferes with the BL/CR Touch mount on the carriage, so had to remix for that as well.

I ended up using the Ender 3 harness and just spliced in for the new extruder/hot end. I was going to put in some connectors … but decided not this time around. If I decide to change again I’ll put them in then.

The Ender 3 Max is a bit of an odd beast and it’s really hard to search for properly … the word max is far too common for any kind of question to do with Ender already :wink:

Here’s some more pics of the WIP:

(Not the final one I just noticed, there’s a couple of additional holes not in that one and I didn’t take a pic before I mounted things).

WIP, wiring is not managed yet

Fan mount design (and some cable retaining clips), waiting on a pair of 5015 fans to arrive from 3d printing canada (hopefully shipping today LOL).

Finally all setup and running. Changed over to OctoPi + Klipper. Had all kinds of weird bugs with the latest Marlin 2 firmware. Even downgraded a version and had similar issues, where it would just ‘lose’ Z … Klipper has been pretty awesome so far. Bit of a learning curve on the initial setup but nothing crazy.

Look like I still have some profile tweaking to do LOL. It’s not horrible until I hit gaps/bridges, even when I slow things down a ton. Then I just start spewing spaghetti! LOL

There we go, much better :). And then as I hit print on a Torture Toaster that was gonna take a couple days to print … my CR touch failed to deploy the probe. So I guess I wait for a replacement. Wiring is ok. sensor … not so much.

1 Like

That’s a big step better for sure

The hardware seems great. I’m sure with some tweaking this is gonna fly. Going to relocate the filament sensor to the extruder mount which should get my wasted filament down to mm and I run the spools from overhead so even cleaner path.

Looks good, the setup looks like a bit of a beast but the result looks worth it.

1 Like

Getting things dialed in nicely. Got some decent quality at pretty fast speeds with the stock 0.4 nozzle. Have moved to a hardened steel 0.8 now and pumping out parts pretty quickly. Still have a bit to dial in with the larger nozzle but very happy with the performance of this compared to the stock hot end and extruder. Haven’t tried flexibles yet but have them in the pipeline and waiting.

The bed carrier/sled/whateveryoucallit on this Ender 3 max I have is brutal. It’s no wonder I had issues with a metal bed on it and no auto bed levelling. It was not bad with the glass bed because at least the glass was reasonably flat, but once I put the metal one on … booooooing! There’s close to a 0.6mm difference across the bed (not in the corners, in the dips). I think this magnet/steel sheet bed is going to have a limited life on this beast.

Agreed, the hotbed plates are not great, The BLtouch helps a lot with a difference like that.

You are correct though if you are having issues go with glass or Carbon fibre, I find they are the best for me as I do tend to drop them once in a while and the glass just goes smash.

I might have to check out the CF option at some point. The glass is a pain because I print higher temp stuff almost always (PETG or hotter) and with glass beds I have to wait a long time to remove the parts or damage the bottoms :frowning:

Hey Gerk, hate to resurrect this old thread, but any chance you still have and could share your printer.cfg from Klipper?

I’m also running an Ender 3 Max with lots of upgrades, and just recently installed the Biqu H2 V2, and this new extruder has been giving me nothing but grief, with loud grinding noises, and generally not extruding properly.

Sure, here it is. I honestly don’t remember how much was from the config I found online and how much was adjusted after the fact … I do know that bed sizing and endstops are not standard …

[stepper_x]
step_pin: PC2
dir_pin: PB9
enable_pin: !PC3
microsteps: 16
rotation_distance: 40
endstop_pin: ^PA5
position_endstop: -5
position_min: -5
position_max: 300
homing_speed: 60

[stepper_y]
step_pin: PB8
dir_pin: PB7
rotation_distance: 40
endstop_pin: ^PA6
position_endstop: -25
position_min: -25
position_max: 300
homing_speed: 60

[stepper_z]
step_pin: PB6
dir_pin: !PB5
rotation_distance: 8
#position_endstop: 0.0                     # disable to use BLTouch
#endstop_pin: ^PA7                         # disable to use BLTouch
endstop_pin: probe:z_virtual_endstop    # enable to use BLTouch
position_min: -5                        # enable to use BLTouch
position_max: 340

[safe_z_home]                         # enable for BLTouch
home_xy_position: 84, 160
speed: 100
z_hop: 14
z_hop_speed: 10

[bltouch]                             # enable for BLTouch - fast-mode
sensor_pin: ^PB1
control_pin: PB0
pin_up_touch_mode_reports_triggered: True
probe_with_touch_mode: True
x_offset: 84                        
y_offset: 0
# modify as needed for bltouch or run PROBE_CALIBRATE
#z_offset: 3.299                         
speed: 10
samples: 3
sample_retract_dist: 7              # Can be set lower, example 2.5 depending on height of bltouch from bed
lift_speed: 1000
samples_tolerance_retries: 3
speed: 10
samples: 2

[bed_mesh]                            # enable for BLTouch
speed: 200
mesh_min: 79, 0
mesh_max: 290, 290
algorithm: bicubic
probe_count: 4,4                 # 49 points due to large bed size and my bed it TERRIBLE
horizontal_move_z: 10

[gcode_macro G29]                    # If moving from marlin to klipper uncomment to mimic G29
gcode:
 BED_MESH_CALIBRATE
 G1 X0 Y0 Z15 F2000

[gcode_macro PARK]                    # If moving from marlin to klipper uncomment to mimic G29
gcode:
 G1 X0 Y280 Z50 F3000

[extruder]
max_extrude_only_distance: 300.0
step_pin: PB4
dir_pin: PB3
rotation_distance: 4.575           # Calibrate - see https://www.klipper3d.org/Rotation_Distance.html
nozzle_diameter: 0.400
filament_diameter: 1.750
heater_pin: PA1
sensor_type: EPCOS 100K B57560G104F
sensor_pin: PC5
#control: pid
#pid_Kp: 21.527
#pid_Ki: 1.063
#pid_Kd: 108.982
min_temp: 0
max_temp: 250
pressure_advance: 0.0               # Calibrate - see https://www.klipper3d.org/Pressure_Advance.html
nozzle_diameter: 0.800

[heater_bed]
heater_pin: PA2
sensor_type: EPCOS 100K B57560G104F
sensor_pin: PC4
control: pid
pid_Kp: 54.027
pid_Ki: 0.770
pid_Kd: 948.182
min_temp: 0
max_temp: 130

[fan]
pin: PA0
# https://github.com/Klipper3d/klipper/issues/2476
max_power: 1.0
kick_start_time: 0.500

[filament_switch_sensor e0_sensor]
switch_pin: PA4

[mcu]
serial: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB_Serial-if00-port0    # Run ls /dev/serial/by-id/* for micro-controller name
restart_method: command

[printer]
kinematics: cartesian
max_velocity: 300
max_accel: 3000
max_z_velocity: 5
max_z_accel: 100

# added this to prevent klipper from throwing errors due to slow heating
[verify_heater extruder]
#heating_gain: 2
#   The minimum temperature (in Celsius) that the heater must increase
#   by when approaching a new target temperature. The default is 2.
check_gain_time: 3600
#   The amount of time (in seconds) that the heating_gain must be met
#   in before an error is raised. The default is 20 seconds for
#   extruders and 60 seconds for heater_bed.
hysteresis: 25
#   The difference between the target temperature and the current
#   temperature for the heater to be considered within range of the
#   target temperature. The default is 5.
max_error: 360
#   The maximum temperature difference a heater that falls outside the
#   target temperature range may accumulate before an error is
#   raised. For example, if the target temperature is 200, the
#   hysteresis is 5, the max_error is 120, and the temperature is
#   reported at 185 degrees for 12 seconds then an error would be
#   raised (or 24 seconds at 190, or 120 seconds at 194, etc.). The
#   default is 120.

[display]
lcd_type: st7920
cs_pin: PB12
sclk_pin: PB13
sid_pin: PB15
encoder_pins: ^PB14, ^PB10
click_pin: ^!PB2
# Paste here and save your klipper configuration

1 Like

Thanks, may I ask what slicer you are using, and can you share those settings also?

I am trying to cover all bases before concluding that my H2 is defective and needs to be sent back to Amazon for an exchange.