Ender 3 prints with a lot of gaps between layers

Hey I am using my ender 3 to print and it is just missing layers and horrible printing the bed is level and so I move the print to my 10s and they are fine I slice properly for each printer but I am stumped on this

HI Will

Welcome to the forum, glad to see you here.

do you have any pics of the failed print? It would make it easier to diagnose. There are alot of people on here that will have a look.

Initial knee jerk is loose bowden fitting, Retraction setting too high maybe causing a partial clog or a bad nozzle.

1 Like

so here are the pics the print I am trying to do but in creality 10s but better print

I also thought the same things so I went over it and in the 10s it works great always had some problems with the ender 3

That looks like nozzle jam or partial or under extrusion.

I would suggest cleaning the hot end and then either making a small test print or calibrating the extruder.

https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html

or

1 Like

I will try calibrating the extruder and change the hot end to see

Thank you

Check the hot end. Do that first. If there is a clog calibrating a clogged nozzle will not be happy printing later.

That it was printing and then stopped doesn’t seem like a calibration issue.

not sure as of yet will try changing the nozzle but I think it is the retract.
what do you think?

I’d try an atomic pull first.

I might if that didn’t help remove the filament and nossle and see if the path is clear or not.

Or a cleaning needle if you have one. Or

with the nozzle off you can just push it completely through the hot end while it is hot works super well. I rarely recommend something this silly wire, just add it to your next order.

the nozzle is not clogged I just checked it, so I will have to calibrate it

1 Like

yup. It is odd that something in calibration would go haywire but Creality seem to do that. I can’t fathom why.

just going to do a test print to see if any better let you know when it is finished if it is any better

1 Like

This is what the benchy looked like when printing.!missing layers IMG_2272.HEIC|375x500

that is bizarre, I think you said you were printing PLA, what temp are you printing at?

It kind of looks like its printing with a .6 nozzle but sliced for a .4

I was at 200 and now I just put the card in the 10s to see how it turns out

That is ugly! If it isn’t a clog I have no clue. It isn’t making tons of piping noises? That nozzle looks quite beaten could the aperture be deformed? I might swap it because it looks beaten!

I will change the nozzle in the AM then reprint it and see what happens

Will I am just really shooting in the dark. I don’t know. I am a big proponent of changing nozzles. they are cheap even good ones are not expensive (well exotic ones aside) it seems to be a starting point, it is easy and cheap. I spent so long personally fiddling with calibration and settings only to discover a hardware issue. Check and confirm hardware then calibrate.

cool I think I have a few in a draw and will order some more new ones
It started when I was going to print lithographs.

I am getting ready to mod this one up so we will see the benchy I put on the 10s is coming out perfect.