Ender 5plus help in St. Catharines

Hi,

I have 3 Ender 5 plus machines and love them. However, 2 of my machines are not printing very well. I must have messed up when I changed out a worn down part, or just am unlucky.

My problem is that I live in St. Catharines and I can’t fit both machines into my car to bring them to the excellent tech team in Hamilton where I bought them.

Is there anyone who is willing to do a house call to help me get them up and running properly? I am fully vaccinated and will gladly pay for your help. The only warning is that I have two dogs who I will do my best to not lick you to death!

Thanks for reading this and offering whatever help you can.

Kevin

1 Like

If you post descriptions and pictures of what constitutes “not printing very well”, it may be something we can walk you through on-line. It’s probably best to deal with one machine at a time so as to avoid confusion. Also, tell us what worn parts were replaced on each machine.

Good morning. Thank you for posting a reply. I am sorry for being so vague. I will take your advice and deal with one machine at a time.

The first machine I replace the plastic extruder with a metal one. I have also replace the tubing, levelling nuts and nozzle head.

When I load filament in, I get a proper flow and the print starts fine. Shortly after, I stop the prints as they are week and fall apart as if not enough filament is being extruded. I can take the memory card and use it to print on the other printer successfully so I don’t believe it has anything to do with my file or settings. I also switched the filament spool in case that was the issue to no success. I was also able to use the replaced filament on the machine that is working fine with good results.

Though I replaced the extruder on the other printer and it is working fine, I must have screwed up with this one. Just not sure what to do.

HI @Minicannuck welcome to the forum

When you replaced the extruder on the back of the machine you have to be careful to setup the gear drive so the set screw lays on the flat spot of the stepper motor, Also have to be sure to snug it up well.

Verify that the gear drive is the same size as was originally taken off or it will change your e-steps. this will cause under extrusion as well. Tension may have to be adjusted on the new drive. I would recommend to do a 100mm estep calibration test and lets start there to verify the numbers are right.

Thanks for the message Jason.

A number of the suggestions you offered I am unsure about. I may have gotten lucky with my other machine. If I can’t find someone more savvy than me, I may have to drive it up to Hamilton. Just hoping there was someone in St. Catharines. I know I can learn - just do best when shown. Any video recommendations?

sure there are a couple of options available, Chuck usually does about the best all around one. I would suggest looking at 2 or 3 but here is my pref

We are always available in the hammer if you need us.

Hope this helps.
Jason

Thanks Jason. I will take a look at the video.

Please don’t get me wrong, I love coming up to the store and have only had the best experiences with the staff. That’s why I buy my printers and filament from you guys.

These printers are bulky and I’m trying to avoid the move. If there was a way for a “house call”, that would be awesome. If not, totally understand. Either way, still happy with the store!

One last question. Is it safe to assume that videos about Ender 3 machines are good resources for my 5 plus machines? Are they the same parts just on a larger set up?

Most, if not all, calibration techniques for an Ender 3 work on an Ender 5 / 5Pro / 5Plus.

It takes a bit of time but the steps are quite easy to follow; Visit this web site and watch the videos on it, then follow the steps from left-to-right (Introduction / Frame Check / PID Autotune / Extruder E-steps Calibration / etc.etc.

The author walks you through every step of the process and provides on-line calculators such that all you have to do is plug in the measurements he asks you to do and it calculates the changes you need to make and then instructs you on how to apply those changes.

It’s really well written, even for a total beginner. Just do yourself a favour and don’t get impatient and skip steps as some calibrations assume earlier adjustments have been made.

You’ll need some basic tools: a ruler; marker; set square/carpenter’s square/or something with a known 90 degree angle; a USB cable to connect your printer to your computer so you can send commands to the printer; a terminal program running on your computer - these date back beyond the 1980’s so there are many of them around - they’ve just fallen into disuse since the 90’s so you may not have come across one. Personally, I use the Ardunio IDE which has a terminal built-in (https://www.arduino.cc/en/software).

Thank you. I will definitely give it my best.

I really appreciate the support. The best thing is that I know if I don’t get it right, there is a great store with techs 40 minutes away.

All is good mini, we like seeing you too. I know the 5 plus are a bit of a bear to move around, I just moved 2 to my place from my farm and I used the bed of the pickup. I like the machines just so much space.

I swear sometimes my maxes take less room but I know that’s not true

LOL - thanks.

I will see how it goes tomorrow. I’ve learned so much from everyone there. Just not sure if I have the time to get this figured out. Looking forward to learning even more in the future.