Extruder motor keeps stopping mid print

I’m also coming this week end to stock up on filament etc so maybe I could bring the printer over?

More images

I don’t work at 3D Printing Canada but it’s probably not a bad idea to bring it in.

Alright, I just started a print and it seems to be printing so far so good. I’ll see if I get the issue again but just incase, I’m going to bring it in

Thank you for the information. I don’t see anything that could cause a problem in your hardware.

In terms of the firmware, how are the two packages combined? I can’t get into the discord server(s) for the firmware (InsanityAutomation 3D Printer Firmware & Marlin Firmware). The firmware itself is pretty old (which shouldn’t be an issue) so if you have access to the discord groups you could see if they have any comments for you regarding your problem.

What I would suggest is that you could try the latest Creality build; it looks like electronically your printer is stock (which is why I was asking about what you’ve done to the printer) and the Creality firmware is quite a bit more recent than what you’re using.

With trying the Creality firmware, we can get another data point as to where the problem lies.

Let me know how it goes - I guess if you’re posting this you’re well past the five minute mark.

Did you make any changes to your settings that could account for it running better?

See my previous post regarding trying the latest Creality firmware.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Around 30 mins in, nothing so far! I changed legit no settings and I just reflashed the firmware. 3D printers are weird

The LCD screen and motherboard have different firmware.

I’ll try with the latest creality build if anything goes wrong. Been using community as it has much faster leveling and more options

Sounds like a good plan. Maybe something got corrupted in the printer’s MCU.

Now, did the firmware work before and then just start having problems?

Let me know how this print works out for you.

Yeah the firmware was working before and just randomly started having problems. The print finished and I see no issues!

Got the issue again… I’ll try updating the firmware after this second attempt

Secondn attempt failed. The extruder motor seems to be stopping mid print
but when I go to move and move any of the motors, the E motor seems to jump back to life?

Hmmm.

You said that you were going in to the store this week/weekend, I think you should reach out to Jason (here on the list) and make sure he’s there to look at the printer for you.

Sorry about the problems but the only thing I can think of now is trying a new controller board.

Alright, no problem

@Jason Will you be there this weekend? I’ll be bringing it in to get it checked

Hi @blaze

Yes, I am working this weekend but we do not do technical work on Saturday. We can intake but sat is just a retail day and Drop off for repairs.

I can absolutely have a look at it for you but Will have to update you on it next week. Hope that’s ok.

Alright. I’ll try to come on friday

Did you resolve this problem? Im having the same issue.

My extruder motor is not even hot when it stops and the motherboard with the stepper drivers has 80mm fan blowing air on it. Wiring seems fine.

I still need to check the driver voltages and probably switch the extruder driver with x or y driver.

Have you moved the main electrical cable that feeds the print head. Move it around to see if there is a broken wire that makes connection until you reach a certain area. If it is trying to continue printing but only the extruder stops, maybe moving the cable around will get it to move and not move. If it does move and not move you know it is the cable.

The pics below show how I made my printer (Ender 3) work until I returned it. I taped the cable in a locked position that maintained electrical connection while I printed. In my case the BL Touch was cycling on and off while printing but the concept is the same, intermittent power in some way to the print head. The next pic shows what I did for my CR-10 Smart Pro to help avoid future issues from constant bending while printing. The first printer (Ender 3) started having issues after only three weeks because it was bending at the same sharp point on the cable. This bend was from how the cable was folded for shipping and created a bending point that quickly failed.

The Cable chain is a must for all printers in my humble opinion. It causes gentle bends that extend the life of the cable greatly by avoiding bends in any local spot.

Try both sections of cable, the side movement cable and the height cable on the side.