First layer issues driving me mental

I’ve been having some weird issues lately that I can’t seem to address. I’ve trimmed the bed, adjusted the z offset, and re-squared the x gantry. When I do a first layer test the left side of the bed prints like it’s too low. The bed visualization in octoprint looks like it’s pretty damn close and even if I raise the left side it still seems to print like crap on that side. Here is an example:

The left side in that pic is at the bottom of the pic. A bunch of the straight lines that look fine are not actually stuck to the bed along that edge.

Is there something else I could be missing? The rest of the bed prints beautifully.

1 Like

Ive sometimes see this happen on my other printer. Unfortunatly idk what may be the fix.

Idea though, have you changed your nozzle recently? May be worth it though i sort of doubt thats the issue.

Also is that the build tac plate? Perhaps its time to change that to some new build tac, or i just went to a magnetic steel sheet. You may be able to test my theory by putting a bed adhesive like glue or hair spray down on the left side there and see if it helps.

You could also edit your mesh for just the left side and see if that helps. Youll need pronterface to do so.

1 Like

I have had the same problem from time to time but it doesn’t seem to affect the prints.

1 Like

Haven’t changed the nozzle or anything else for that matter. Started using PrusaSlicer but that’s about it. Occasionally when I run through the ABL process it looks like the bed drops off at a 45 degree angle about an inch or two from the end. It was making me wonder if there could be BLTouch issues.

1 Like

I’ve never used pronterface but I’d rather not have to macguyver the meshes in order to print well. Though I feel like I’m running out of things to try to get it working well again.

1 Like

Oh and it’s just the standard bed on the CR10s pro V2. I suppose I could try a wham bam or something but I’d rather not buy anything new until I know for sure what the problem is

1 Like

At one point I was having weird issues in one corver of the bed and finally figured out that the cable for the extruder motor was pulling loose when the print head swept all the way over. Not enough to make it stop completely, but enough to cause issues.

Is it possible you’re putting too much tension on the wiring or the bowden tube when the print head’s over there?

I’ve been having similar issues. Just like you, my bed acted as if it were low on the left side.

My “solution” so far has been to turn off ABL, and just level the bed manually. And that has worked.

Try disabling ABL via the printer menu, and then do a ‘scratch’ level of your bed.

Someday, I’ll get around to troubleshooting it the rest of the way.

The other thing that helped a lot was getting a new FLAT glass bed.
Mine was quite a bit out, as was the new Creality print surface that I bought at first

been there done that … this may be basic thing to check but try cleaning bed with isopropyl alcohol. finger prints are a royal silent print killer. also I went through several creality magnetic bed until I switch pei. noticed you image have dirty or ware at that end.

Looks like every square but maybe one is too close to the bed. Those ripples and separations aren’t from being out of level, but from printing a few hundredths too close.

Yeah that’s a result of me constantly adjusting it trying to get that left side to print properly. It’s WAY higher than it should be at that point.

I’ve cleaned the bed a million times… it’s just scuffed, not dirty. Though I’m thinking I still might replace the bed with a magnetic removable one…

Yeah I was kind of suspecting ABL as a likely culprit - when I manually level the bed and regenerate the ABL mesh it looks beautiful in Octoprint’s bed visualizer plugin but it still prints like crap so it makes me think that somehow it’s not actually USING the mesh. Still investigating…

Don’t think so. I have a micro swiss direct drive that is fed from directly above so it doesn’t appear to be any tension - not to mention if that was the case the bed would likely appear as too high on that side rather than too low.

Once you’ve got it dialed in with the bed manually levelled, save it to eeprom.
I am guessing that it is using the eeprom’s matrix rather than the one it just did…

If you think that the bed is warped then it might be better to replace it with a glass bed, they tend to be fairly flat and stiff. Cheap too.

No I don’t think it is. In fact it’s pretty damn flat as far as I can tell. I was more thinking about ease of print removal (been considering it for a while). But I want to figure out these issues before I buy anything new.

Assuming you have already tuned& calibrated the printer, here are a few things you can try.

in your slicer, enable all your setting for the first layer. I use Cura but other ones may name them slightly different. Try increasing the flow rate for the first layer, and potentially increase the width of the first layer as well. You can try increasing the frist layer Hight as well, just one parameter at a time of course. Just be cautions as what may improve your lower corner may squish & give you elephant foot thing too much above. Of course if your nozzle is a mile to high wont help …

PS i still think replacing the bed with a magnetic removable is still the best option… Untill it all starts again…