Frequent stops through print

So, the definition of insane is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results. That’s me right now, going insane.

I have a CR-10 Smart. Print starts fine, etc etc, but for some reason it has started to stop during the print. Like the power went out. Completely shuts off and reboots itself. Asked if I want to continue, I choose yes. But at that point, it doesn’t continue from where it left off, except it starts the print over again like I just hit print the first time. So it tried to lay the new material over the already laid previous material. And I get all the classic skipping of the nozzle being too close to the bed.

Anywho, does anyone have a suggest please as to where I would start to get this print to STOP restarting over and over again?

Oh, and it doesn’t happen every print. I get one, maybe two good prints out of ten with it not happening. The other 8-9 prints get this constant restarting.

Thank you very much ahead of time.

I have a couple of things for you to try, try jiggling the power cable while the print is going. Dont pull on it or anything just try and jiggle it around to see if there is something weird with either the cable or the plug.

If you have no luck with that I would try plugging it into a different outlet, if you have it on a power bar try plugging it directly into the wall. This definitely seems like the printer is momentarily loosing power, enough to cause it trigger the auto print resume anyways.

Have you also double checked that the power supply switch is properly set to 110V instead of 220V?

Will do what you suggested and report back. I do know though, that it’s 100% on 110v

Ok great, let me know how it goes! I have a sneaking suspicion something is up with the power cable, you don’t happen to have cats or rabbits do you? :grin:

Sorry, got side tracked yesterday.

Power plug feels secure, and just plugged it in to a new solo outlet. Same print started, stay tuned!

I’m happy to report that the print has not stopped YET since trying your suggestions. I’ll report back when/if it stops again, OR when the print finishes.

Bummer, restarted. Only took about twice the amount of time until it did this time.

Hmm this will be a fun one to try and toubleshoot…

Can you find any sort of correlation between what the printer is doing and when it is powering off?

It used to happen on random, different prints. Currently, where it is happening every time is while I am trying to print a power drill battery mount. Three in one print. When I posted originally here, it would happen after it did the skirt and was 2/3 of the way through the first mounts layer. Not even having started the second or third battery mount yet.

Since doing your suggestion of plugging it in to its own outlet AND ensure cables were tight, it made it through about 3 layers of each mount before doing the restart. Which is why I was excited when it made it past the 2/3 point of the first mount.

I’ll also note that September 25, 2023 I did go in to the store and purchase a new control board.

I’ve just started a new print of just one mount, just to see if it happens

Ok keep me posted on what happens.

1 Like

So far it’s passed the 3-4 layers where it would restart before.

1 Like

annnnnnd, it did it again. About 35ish layers in

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Well that’s not good…

Have you checked the mainboard to make sure all the connections are good? Maybe something is causing the board to short and restart. Another good thing to check is the fuse on the board, if it is blown it could be causing issues.

Keeps doing it. The only thing I haven’t done is check that fuse. Will do asap. Throughout the day I made sure the screen and board had the latest firmware as per the reality site, ensure cables were tight, etc.

This sounds like some sort of thermal runaway, or failure to heat.

Try doing a pre-heat and just let it sit and see if it happens. If not disable the steppers, do a pre-heat and try moving the printhead and bed around.

Are you printing via SD Card, Via USB Host or other ?

Sorry, I thought I mentioned that I am printing from an SD card. I want to say I’ve left it on preheat for quite some time since having this problem, and it hasn’t restarted, but I’ll try that again.

I am not a genius in this department by any means, hence asking here for help, but how would one go about disabling the steppers?

I can confirm all the cables are tight into where they need to be and the 15A blue automotive-style fuse is not blown. As mentioned earlier, I have already swapped out the main board for this printer. I have a new power supply coming today that I’ll try.

On reddit someone suggested that cr-10 smarts were known to get a crack at the top of the stock extruder which was causing printing problems. I don’t know if that would cause the power to go off than on?

Disabling steppers should be on the LCD menu somewhere. May be called motors off or disable steppers.

If a heater cable or thermistor cable (its like the temperature sensor) is strained, it can cause a thermal error, which I am not sure of the behavior of a CR-10 Smart, can either cause a HALT condition, or a restart.

You could also try to connect your printer to a PC, and use something like pronterface to monitor the serial console to see if its throwing an error in the console.

I’m guessing that would be done by connecting it from USB port of the printer to USB port of the computer?