Hi everyone! Need Help Please

This may seem a bit uninformed but doesn’t the Ender 6 have a built in bed levelling system using the nozzle? If so then why use the paper method of levelling the bed. or this there something else I’m missing.

Ok. All done.
The new firmware allows for saving to eprom. Bltouch, z offset, and more. You can also adjust and save flow and esteps, which is new.
It is not a cure-all, though. I still can’t enter g-code or disable z recovery (which is why spiralize/vase modes don’t work on 6’s.) When I get I chance I will scour the reddit group for a solve.
But this definitely saved this machine from an inglorious future in the Halton dump.
Forget about the link above; that’s only for people who upgraded to direct drive extruders.
Instead use this page from reddit, and follow the instructions to the letter. You will do a double take when installing the screen firmware, because he tells you to load the file that doesn’t say ender 6 screen firmware.
You will need a micro SD for the screen firmware, and a 2 mm Allen key (one came with the machine). Two screws in the bottom, two in the back, and four inside to remove the board from the housing allowing access to the micro SD slot.
I guess it took me two hours, but i forgot how ripping fast this thing is. Definitely worth the time.
Also: do yourself a favour and get a purple Elmer’s glue stick, isopropyl alcohol on a squirty bottle and lots of paper towel. Glass beds suck, but until you replace it with a mag spring, it’s glue on, glue off.

Good luck, man. Let us know how it works out

If it does, I have no idea why they sold me a bltouch.

Mark? Where are you???
Ted to the rescue.

It is their job to sell you stuff even if you don’t need it. I’m not really sure about the built in ABl. I will see if I can find anything out.

An update on my stupidity.

I confused the Ender 6 with the CR-6. The CR-6 does have a built in ABL not the Ender 6 as I thought. Why would Creality use similar names that might confuse people (me).

1 Like

I have several questions for Creality, none of which are suitable for a family friendly website like this one.

Did the firmware not work?

Worked perfectly for the problem at hand (not saving settings to eprom). It did not resolve all the ender6 issues, like the inability to spiralize.
But this is the best solve I could find for no $.
Looks like I will have to abandon the firmware altogether and get a raspberry with kipper to make it past the end line.

Hi Mark from Ottawa,

As a less than one year old newbie, I can sympathise with your issues. I also have a stock Creality Ender 6 which I bought from 3D printing last June, and although I do have some frustrations, and although I don’t have any other printers to compare it to, it prints well IMHO.
I haven’t made any adjustments to the “Z offset” but I have found that adjusting the bed is the key to having a successful print.
I’ve also scratched my glass bed a little when my nozzle came loose (although it doesn’t need to be very tight) and I’ve had many prints fail because the nozzle is too far from the bed for a successful first layer.
Watch a youtube video explaining how to level the bed using a piece of paper (I use post it notes) and do the adjustments when the bed and the nozzle are at operating temperature (typically 60 deg C for the bed and 200-210 deg C for the nozzle for normal PLA)

I also suggest you make NO changes to the printer until you have it working well in its stock configuration. Its really not a bad printer!

Hope this helps.

Old newbie :slight_smile:

Hi Mark,

At the risk of making a contentious statement, I like the glass bed - it doesn’t need any glue sticks or hair spray - all it needs is to be kept clean. I use “Invisible Glass” but Windex would probably be just as good.
However on my first print when I heard isopropyl alcohol (IPA) should be used, I cleaned the bed with rubbing alcohol. Nothing would stick until some kind soul pointed out that rubbing alcohol contains oil!!! Apparently you need 90% IPA which I don’t have so I used Dawn dish soap to clean off the oil and now it’s just a spray of “Invisible glass” between prints and we’re good.

1 Like

Gang, thank you ever so much for the help! I found a savior by the name of Corey from Envirolazer in Ottawa, he set me straight and showed me exactly what I was doing wrong. I am doing my first 3d print now! It’s a cube!

3 Likes