House brand PETG issue?

You cannot make a blanket statement that one is stronger than the other because of the varieties of PLA that exist on the market. However, what we do know is that PETG is more elastic (bends more before it breaks) so if that is important for your application, then PETG is a better choice.

1 Like

Yes it is, that’s why I bought so many rolls, I want to make it my standard filament.

Sofar I’m not happy with the red and transparent blue.

Did the videos I linked above play to see my situation?

I printed your part and it should be done in a few minutes. I don’t think I used your settings though, I think I just hit my PETG preset which wasn’t my intension We were babysitting a sick animal all night in some pretty miserable weather. do you remember what your total print time was on this part?

4-4.5h I think? Can’t remember exactly

ok can’t be too far off, This one was 4hr 10 mins. What does it do? which way does it have to be strong heh? should have asked before I put it on the build plate I suppose.

Edit: never mind I remember the video and just watched it again.

Its a locomotive reverser, used to put trains in forward or reverse. It just has a novelty end on it, it’s intended for show however it needs to be strong enough for when someone inevitably tries using it in a locomotive. It’s like an off-road muffler do you know what’s going on a road vehicle LOL I just don’t want it to break off in a train.

1 Like

Ok well, they sure won’t break it pulling it but I didn’t test shearing it. my setup was a little janky and I couldn’t reach around the camera and apron on the machine in a straight enough line to give it a really good tug by hand I’m pretty sure this is strong enough not to break in this direction hand.

It didn’t actually break, I know I said it broke in the video but I meant it broke free because the tie slipped off. The first time I tried I pulled it out of the chuck and had to go find it.

https://youtu.be/5wvcv33jybo

one other question came to mind is how have you got the model oriented when you print it?

i printed it so that you can read the letters sitting in front of the machine

But depending on the request I get for a model, it might need to be printed several different orientations.

It fits in the locomotive the way I printed it, V notch up

I printed this way for the most strength. This was about 1/2 way through I think.

this would be closer to acceptable, its eryone jet black pla at 220/60

this is 3DPC Transparent Blue PETG and i feel its completely unacceptable for a stronger material

same stl just a slightly different cross section.

i have now run the blue through both of my machines with the same outcome, weak junk parts.

printing one in 3DPC red PETG this orientation to test

Thanks for sharing that. I was wondering what that was but didn’t want to intrude and ask. My dad was life-long CN employee. His dad was life-long CP. It was the CN logo that grabbed my attention.

JUNK

vs

polymaker polylite pla

can you try to bend yours in the middle, the CN logo is for show, the key section needs the most strength, it gets pushed and pulled that way in use

photo from reddit

it’s funny I saw the logo and didn’t want to ask if that’s what it was in case it wasn’t

so it goes in there and gets torqued back and forth? I’ll give it a try and see what it takes to break it. I already crushed it a little in the chuck so it should be interesting.

I can definitely see where the weakest points are in this part. but i’ll see what it takes to break it and post back

Printed two different ways ( as seen ) broke in different spots