Is hairspray a good bed adhesive?

ya 190 is too low temp… 210 for PLA

Ok. Maybe I’ll try that too. The machines have presets to preheat with one button for pla, petg, tpu or abs.

yours are more like the pteg preset

tried 205° and got the same failure. I re-leveled the bed by hand and reset the Z offset with babysteps as it was printing the first layer because it didn’t look great. it took quite a bit actually so maybe e the head isn’t exactly where it was before. so in the end this print also came off the bed. So … now I’m trying hairspray. It seems to have made a difference. I had to back up some of my babysteps from before because now I was getting rides it seems better now than even what I thought was ok before so fingers crossed that this works.

If you’ve bed leveled, cleaned the surface properly, dialed in the temperatures, have a good first layer, and added sufficient shelter, try a different brand of filament. I’ve printed the same part with two different brands of filaments and gotten better results with the more known brand.

well the second part is printing with the hairspray and so far it’s stuck although I can tell the bottoms not perfectly flat . same part same setting second print. at the beginning I had to babystep the head down again part the way to where it was before. after this I’ll try printing one of those 1st layer test patterns and see if I can get that dialed in properly.

Well today I printed 5 parts no problems at all using just the hairspray diferent than what I normally do. Also my going from part to part without resetting seems to have cleared itself up, I wonder if there was something in the G-code on parts I was printing before hat might have caused that instability?

@PJprincefpv what was it about the hairspray that you were warning about earlier?

hairspray just makes a mess of everything it gets into everything sure it might hold your prints down but glue stick should work just as good and again Elmer’s purple washable glue stick

2 Likes

I only tried that Pritt brand glue stick and it was a little hard to get off but also didn’t stick the print down. I only put a light spray of the hairspray on and it seems to clean off with the alcohol wipe.

1 Like

The Elmer’s extra strength gluestick from dollarama (lol) washes with water, if you have a glass plate it makes clean up super easy

I run 4 printers that all have a Buildtak surface on them and have no need for any kind of glue or adhesive, no mess no fuss and hey stick and come of like a dream.
Have always wondered why there is a problem, machines are Tevo Tarantula, (2) Xinkebot Orca’s and a Creality CR10S pro.

I’ve started using hairspray last night after my Magigoo exploded, and it works great only things to note would be keep bed around 50 degrees C and it’s not like bed adhesive so even once cooled down it’s hard to release the print

I’ve since enclosed my printer and the only thing I find I need it on are prints with a lot of surface area on the bottom but my plate comes our and bends so I haven’t had a release issue and usually the print just pops off by itself if I let it get cold even with the hairspray. isn’t hairspray just cornstarch? might see if there’s a prepper recipe for it so I can do without the perfume…

2 Likes

Ive got a few cans of aqua net, its non-scented and extra strong. Though its a bit tricky to get in Canada.

2 Likes

It’s a better adhesive than it was a movie.

3 Likes

I live in Canada and I use a glass bed. I have experimented with different hair sprays. Redkin extra strong is the best holding I’ve found so far and I’m not happy with it. I ordered Aquanet from Amazon and I’m just waiting for it to arrive. From what I read on other forums it sometimes sticks to good and will damage the print getting it off.
Just have to wait and see.

1 Like

Often I don’t need anything on my heat bed but using a gluestick which usually works all the time so I use them and they are easy to clean up.

Some hairsprays may work but I tried one and boy did it STINK up my place…

I received the Aquanet hairspray in the mail and I tried it out today. I sprayed it on glass, 2 coats and printed a piece approx 3"X3.5" square (PLA).
It definitely held better than the Redkin hairspray
It was a little difficult to release but not impossible at all.
I am happy with the Aquanet

I am just going to toss this out there. Poly Vinyl Alcohol is the principal ingredient of glue sticks, white glue, book binders glue, and many hair spays, (aquanet ) The difference is just the delivery system.

Hairsprays are all over the place, resorcinol, vinyls seem to the the most common. (resorcinol!!! cray cray that is used to glue plywood together!!) The majority of 3d printers use either a surface designed to adhere or PVAs.

Personally I’d stay away from hairspray mostly because the propellents are almost always flammable. The general consensus is the PVA based hair sprays are the best.

Most are suggesting a thin pva coating, aerosol, pump or smear. It is all the same really.

Magigoo is different it is as I understand dissolved PLA rather than a vinyl, but at the end of the day a PEI,PVA,PLA, and powder coating is a thin coating of plastic for the plastic filament to stick to. Painters tapes too sometimes have a thin plastic layer on the outside.