Is hairspray a good bed adhesive?

I have used regular elmers glue stick and it seems to work well.

For people using hairspray, is there a certain type or brand that is recommended?

I wouldn’t mind trying it sometime.

Cheers!

For people, without a heated bed I have found luck with Scotch Comercial grade masking tape. I find it is the perfect balance of adhesion for people without a heated bed.

no please don’t use hairspray on your printers

1 Like

personally Elmer’s washable glue stick works the best when you get into more polymer materials you should start using Elmer’s glue all and mix it 50% water then there’s things like magic goo PA magical high temp and then things like vision miners nanopolymer adhesive

1 Like

Green painter’s tape with Elmer’s glue stick on that. Rarely have a warp with this but I plan on building an enclosure soon to start using ABS

Elmer’s purples glue stick is great I find if you use multiple layers works great. plus I only use glass. Also an enclosure does a world of help to any high temp polymer starting from abs and working its way up the ladder.Enclosures extremely help layer adhesion and stop parts from warping, when you move up to abs there’s slurries to help it stick I find glue sticks still works there are some magic goo products as well as vision miners Nano polymer adhesive I personally print nylon, nylon carbon fibe,r ultem cf, or pei as most know it. so if any of you guys have any questions feel free to post them here and I’ll do my best to help you guys out.

1 Like

Well, I tried Pritt stick and can’t say it made a difference, it stuck on there pretty good though and I’m afraid to take too aggressive attempts to get it off… my first layers seem to go on fine and look good with no gaps but they start to warp away from the bed after the print is about 4mm high or so. I let some things finish anyway and once they got knocked off and ruined the print and another time the part was too warped to use. I’m trying a much hotter bed temp now 80°

Actually I see now the brim is already lifted off the bed the part still seems flat though

some times Brim helps because it will curl but save the part and i have separate glass bed where i use hair spay and all crazy ideas. what ever stick is the answer.

ahh the print failed it was just too warped to use so I stopped it.

I printed one (in the photo) before was trying to print more in pairs.
https://imgur.com/D8Gblby

what is temp setting?

for that one the bed was set to 80° and I was getting 78° actual Cleaned with 90%alcohol before the print. had a mishap earlier and scratched the other side of my plate that why its right in front of me. I have to try and wash off the Pritt glue too , which I also tried

this sucks brother sorry you’re having these problems. where are you from ?

I would switch to glass

I’m in Nova Scotia. I have some glass I could cut to fit. seems like not many people have trouble with this spring plate though. It makes me think there’s something I’m not doing

1 Like

it could be but personally I’m not really a big fan of spring steel I prefer glass but it’s probably just cuz of the materials I print in mostly but I love glass for everything mind you spring steel really makes that pla if you’re printing it easy to pop off

1 Like

I’ve only printed pla so far, I might try higher nozzle temp, I haven’t tried that yet, might melt into the bed better.

1 Like

just keep in mind printing pla over 220 should never really happen at around 240 it’ll start to crystallize and jam your nozzle

1 Like

Thanks. I had a little better experience today. I printed at 190 and it didn’t help. Knowing I was going to need an enclosure that I was actually printing parts for (some of the ones that aren’t coming out are for that) so I can print ABS and nylons later I went and made a makeshift blanket fort for the printer and the next part came out only a little warped so I was encouraged enough that I loaded the bed up with new parts to print and this happened. Filament jam/squeeze out I just got it cleaned up

I’m going to try i again in the morning and see if I can get good parts off it.

1 Like

so I don’t think I’ve ever printed pla at 190 normally 205 to 220

2 Likes

While I have been a fan of glue stick for adhesion, I have to say with more experience now a clean bed and proper temps gives the best adhesion than putting anything on your bed.