Klipper desired mods/adds

sure klipper is better than marlin, yet i think it lacks some basic, obvious features;

firstly, add “time remaining” (admittedly an estimate)
2ndly, add “filament remaining” (admittedly an estimate**)

i have to admit, i am still using the non-wifi approach (just lazy) so if those features are in the wifi interface then i would say then that the non-wifi version (console) should be changed to reflect them;

also the process of removing a completed print from the build plate , if using a removable, bendable plate (gosh those are great) initiates a rapid cool-down automatically;
i realize exposing that hot-plate involves some risk to the user but there s/b accommodation to maintain the hot-end and heat plate temps , maybe for a minute or so, so we dont have to heat them both up for the next print;
my primary printer (FLSUN V400) heats pretty fast, nonetheless the current process (manually requesting a heat-up, when the heat was already there) is annoying;
i would also desire an “ordering” option in listing the prints, currently it defaults to alpha, add a date-option;
i havent found any logging, that might be handy to see how long a print actually took historically, how much filament used (be interesting to compare them to Cura predictions…);

the above suggestions do not seem to me to be all that hard to implement…

** this might get a little trickier if not starting from a “full” 1 KG spool, so maybe this would apply Only for a “new”,“full” 1 KG spool

Your post confused me as a lot of what you’re requesting is built into Klipper until I did some research.

The Flsun Vs400 comes with the the Flsun “Speeder Pad” which is like the Creality Sonic Pad in that it runs a forked version of Klipper on a custom *nix board that’s not a Raspberry Pi. It is not running the same version of Klipper as somebody who is running the root version of Klipper and it sounds like it has a number of deficiencies:

Apparently you can load genuine Klipper onto the Speeder Pad using these instructions:

As to your comments; Klipper has time remaining - both predicted from the slicer as well as on its own (from what I’m printing right now):

Actually, it’s also displayed on the Raspberry Pi display (aka “KlipperScreen”):

How are you using the “non-wifi approach” with Klipper? Klipper, in all of its flavours, does not support an SD Card - all gcode files have to be transferred through a network connection.

Anyway it’s interesting to see what is out there - I didn’t realize that the Speeder Pad wasn’t running genuine Klipper and I have no idea why they aren’t.

thanks for the thoughtful input, i am seeing klipper from the console using usb input; that seems much more limited than the wifi/browser UI;
i wonder there might be a firmware update ( FLSUN ?) that might address these issues ;
surely adding a speeder pad externally wont get it done…

Could you show what you have?

When I read about the Flsun V400, it talks about having the Speeder Pad and what you’re describing doesn’t sound like it.

I don’t know what you mean by “i am seeing klipper from the console using usb input” as that doesn’t match what I’m reading about the printer and its controller.

Hi there,

I have always found that klipper contained every little thing you could ever possibly want when printing. And the nice thing as well is that if it is not available you can add it in as your own feature (as long as you can program it properly).

I agree with @mykepredko that it might be useful to share your see to the forum here, then we may be able to help you out further!

Thanks,
Matthew

I have a V400 and am confused by what your question is. Filament remaining isn’t possible unless it has the ability to track what filament roll is on the printer and assuming they all start full.

The easiest is to weigh the roll and subtract the empty weight it isn’t 100% accurate but its ok.

The web interface has both ETA and estimated time for the print.

The PEI needs to be cool to release the print easily and with no damage. Removing the flexible plate and waiting to cool is the same as commanding the printer to heat as you remove it. As you are there it makes no difference. It literally is a few moments. Personally by the time I have the flexible plate off print removed and cleaned the printer is back to temp.

You could change the end code to not turn off the heaters but it represents a hazard as if something interrupts your interface the printer will continue to heat. I would not suggest this.

Hey there,

Correct me if I’m wrong but you most slicers should have all the info needed to calculate how much filament is used during the print. The slicer already has the ability to calculate the weight of the printed part, so if it has the density of the filament entered in properly it should be able to calculate the length of filament needed to print the object. Then it would be as simple as calculating the current progress of the print and you could get a ballpark answer. I doubt it would be extremely accurate but it would probably be close enough.

Thanks,
Matthew

Yes, assuming you have only one printer and keep track on the roll. I never got that organized. I just toss it on a scale and estimate the weight remaining and run from there. It only takes a moment. I am usually within a 50 gm. give or take.

my flsun v400 does have the external speeder pad; what i hear is that klipper is “built-in” the firmware , not an external piece like i hear some speeder-pad add-ons are; i also hear that the version of klipper that is built-in my firmware is not as up to date as the external versions; that translates into less functionality;
as far as the usb -console i refer to , what i mean is using usb ‘stick’ to transfer and read the g-code files ,
the usb stick is inserted into the side of the speeder-pad; the console is the speeder pad display ( interactive, touch); i will go full wifi/browser soon, just lazy up to this point

agreed; i am using a spreadsheet to store and calculate, very soon i will have my first answer to the question of : “how much ‘weight’ is on a 1 kg spool ?”; does 951 milligrams qualify as 1 kg ? will share that answer;
and yes i should bite the bulelt and get a decent scale to assist;
i am not intending on having and operating a printer farm but i guess my instincts force me into such considerations

the reason this may be more germane for me than others is that i live here in thailand; we have fewer spool sources than most others; sometimes i get spools from amazon but that involves double the cost ( export fees,more shipping cost, import fees and duties) and generally about 3 weeks;
if i run into a filament-out situation and i dont have another compatible spool (generally color) on-hand then i would have to order from amazon and pause that print for 3 weeks; thus taking the printer offline for 3 weeks;
or just trash the print
or over-inventory sourcing from amazon;
or just accept a certain amount of filament wastage
so i use a spreadsheet to help “production-plan” so filament used in grams becomes more important

Usage grams are in the slicer. The estimated time (slicer estimation, interface and time remaining) is in the interface to the printer. The only thing missing is the empty spool weight. There are many listed, and the majority are all similar. I have a number of printers and some I have not bothered to replace the run out sensor as it is pointless, I weigh the spools and don’t run out. When I don’t care I splice the tails together and print the ends.

The spools I use are very accurate to weight, I have not found one under and over only a few grams.

I am still unsure of what your issue is, but as far as I understand you are wishing something that measures the filament used and tracks the spool used and keeps the total tally. I am assuming that if you try to print something that is too long for the reel it will not allow it?

This is possible but it would take a lot of design and complexity. I am not sure but Bambu labs with their priority filament may do something like this but I am unsure. I personally do not like the ‘walled garden’ approach.

Sounds cool!

Looking forward to seeing the results!