Linear Rail kit setup

I have an ender 5 pro that I want to change to linear rail. Is it worth to change and what would it cost to switch. Is it something I can do myself. Are they just a plug and play setup.

If you are still interested, I can give you my experience.

I’ve used both MGN12 rails and designs from Thingiverse and also MGN9 rails with the linear rail kit from Printermods on my E5Pro. Both systems worked but they do take some work to get installed and far from plug and play especially if you aren’t experienced. Even using alignment tools, I did find that getting absolutely perfect alignment was tough and at the right speed and at some locations on the rails I got a low “screeching” noise. I also found that the linear rails caused some minor artifacts in my prints from the resonance of the printer. The rails aren’t forgiving.

I have since switched to using the Exoslide kit
This kit is much easier to install and alignment isn’t a problem. One thing I discovered in the process of installing these is that one my y-axis extrusions on the printer was actually undersized. Additionally the rubber wheels provide some forgiveness from resonance and they are quieter. Very happy with these and wish I had started with them.

Hope that helps.

I have a similar question, i have an ender 5 with a few years of milage under it. The wheels probably have a few more KMs left but noticed they have been leaving dirt on the beams. Sooner or later I will have to replace the wheels is it worth upgrading the rails or just a fresh set of tires?

So far after replacing nozzles, gears & hot ends (and 3d printer Canada expert help) still printing nicely. But there is as “bump in the road” on x axis. Probably going on 3 yrs now.

George

Both wheels and rails can collect dust and need to be cleaned and maintained. If it’s printing well I’d just replace wheels as needed. The only time I really dislike wheels is when used on the z-axis and you have a heavier build plate. On my Ender 5 no issues, but on my Ender 6, it develops ruts when not used for a while. They usually can be smoothed out running the bed up and down a few times, but it’s not convenient.

One thing I like about the Exoslide is it’s flat wheel on flat part of the extrusion, so no wear from the V-groove and the wheel not being a perfect alignment. Maintenance is simply wiping down the extrusion and it’s more for looks. (Dust) Have yet to see it affect printing.