My benchy has a lean and a few other small issues

Huh… interesting. So that is pushing against the frame to square it?

Latest update!

I heard back from Creality with this

Whether the XY axis is moving steadily due to the tightness of the belt;

If the belt is not locked, the ratio between the rotation of the motor and the distance traveled by the belt will be changed;

Can not fully meet the stepping ratio of motor rotation;

Offset when it causes movement;

If you still have other problems, please provide the video to show your printer issue.

We will give you a solution.

I am not convinced this is talking about lean so much as random offsets…

Hmmm I think you maybe right. Although they responded and you have a dialogue now.

In my case no I was trying really hard not to pull the frame it was good in fact. The whole printer has terrible wobble and vibrations when it is printing. Bad design, but the supports help reduce the.

I had to try really hard not to pull it out of square, it is capable of moving it out of square or in. It isn’t a massive amount. Just thinking.

Could the gantry be uneven. I’m struggling to explain.

Does your printer have a self diagnostic? Two of my 4 do. They will level the Y on the Z. Basically they run the y axis to the top and allow the lead screw to slip. You have run the y to the top and made sure it was the same?

Yes, the angled rod is threaded. The green part has nuts at either end where the rod goes through. You adjust the angle by turning the nuts to make fine adjustments. This only makes adjustments front-to-back, but does not help if the frame is leaning side-to-side. It also goes a long way to making the frame more rigid.

1 Like

Do you mean the gantry extrusion actually being thicker in places?

No self diagnostics that I am aware of. It’s an ender 3 so from what I have learned fancy features tend to be DIY mods, not out of the box :wink:

What do you mean by run the y to the top?

oh gosh my dyslexia is showing. Not the y . The x axis moves on a gantry. The gantry moved to the top will show if it is equal to the frame top. You could measure it. My prusa during self calibration will run this to the max unit both side slip. Both sides are pinned and equal.

You may not be able to do that depending on the configuration of the lead screws. But you could confirm it is equal on the lead screws. If so that is an easy fix. If I am understanding where you are out it is something with the x movement or the gantry is crooked. I am super visual and have difficulties picturing how the lean is occurring. Did the belt do anything? I personally would be squeaking for a new unit. My sidewinder has terrible quality control. I should have angled for a new unit rather than void the warranty with a BL touch. Hindsight.

Yeah I understand what you are saying about the x axis. The thing is if that was uneven, the print would lean from side to side along the x axis, but it’s lean is front to back along the y axis. Still something that is good to check though!

I have been going through Teaching Tech’s calibration and things are starting to look better. Printing something taller will be the big test. I still have a few sections left to go through, but once I am done I will do the taller print and cross my fingers… but not hold my breath :wink:

1 Like

Did you take 20mm XYZ cube and stretch it to 100mm tall?

I’m Intrigued on how belt too tight could cause the lean too!

Interestingly I never thought to do that. Instead I found a very simple tall cylindrical vase to print. I haven’t reprinted it yet since I was first trying to sort this out. I am just finishing up running through the Teaching Tech calibration guide and am hoping to reprint today.

I am on the Acceleration Tuning step of Teaching Tech’s calibration guide… I am curious about the one side of the print. In the video his looked fairly smooth but mine has vertical ridges. I am not convinced they are ‘ghosting’ but they could be. Or it could just be that the video isn’t quite showing enough detail and this ridges are to be expected and in fact exist on his.

This is my print - it’s the side with the little notch in it.

This is the side that cuts across the bed on a diagonal.

This is the last step of the calibration I think I will be doing. I gather I can’t do the Linear Advance Tuning because of the setup of my Creality. From what I read the version of the board I have indicates that it’s not compatible with the stepper motors I (think) I have.

The XYZ calibration doesn’t seem necessary - the size of the prints has never seemed to be a problem.

Is this from? It’s a great page!!

https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html

1 Like

Yes! That’s the one. Sorry I should have included the link. A number of people recommended it so I ran through it a bit at a time. I am not convinced I did everything right tho and may need to revisit. For one while my first layer goes down nicely the second shows over extrusion :smirk: one thing after another.

2 Likes

I did the giant cube. I have to say I find it extremely amusing for some reason :wink:

The sad news… it still leans. So I think it was misleading that loosening the belt helped.

It’s confession time… turns out loosening the belt didn’t fix the problem - I printed a larger cylinder and cube and they were still leaning. I looked back at the email and realize I misinterpreted it a bit. They were saying it was the belt, but didn’t specify that it was too tight. It was quite tight at the time though so it being too loose still didn’t make sense.

I reached out to them again and someone else responded with more ideas as to what might be going on. They said to check the frame and that based on my picture, the y axis is “not stable” which brings me back to my first suspicion that the fact that the y axis is not level is the culprit. I just need to figure out how to level it still. I have tried some adjustments but they didn’t work. I may need to shim it on one side to make it level. They also pointed out that the nozzle kit may not be vertical and I did change out my nozzle right before I noticed this issue, but it looks pretty vertical to me

:roll_eyes: It kind of sucks - I don’t want to print anything major until I get this fixed. My main concern is that when I print anything that needs to be done in multiple pieces and then fit together… this will likely cause problems for me. It could even explain why my lego wreath was tricky to get together actually. Or if I print anything large, the lean will be fairly noticeable.

Apologies if trying to sort out how the belt tension being too loose might cause a lean led to any sleepless nights for the puzzle solvers that have been helping me with this.

Ok so your cube leans. but I have a question. on that giant cube (now I want one … ) are all 4 vertical corners parallel? I’m formulating the idea that it might be what happened on my printer. where the vertical elements weren’t parallel and this caused the print head which is cantilevered off the X axis rail (compounding the issue) to sort of corkscrew twist as it traveled across the width of the machine. so a straight line drawn by the nozzle would be higher on one side and also farther toward the front or back at it’s end point. if that makes any sense.

They seem parallel to me. Do you mean that the two vertical extrusion beams on either side of the frame weren’t parallel to each other in your case? I think I can see where you are going with this…

I don’t think that’s my problem. I have checked the squaring of my frame time and again trying to sort this out. I suppose the two beams could be square the their relative horizontal foot beams without being parallel to each other but it doesn’t appear to be the case for me.

I’ll see if I can find the document where i got this idea from. it’s probably better at explaining it than I am heh.