Setting up a perfect first Layer on your 3D printer

Setting up a perfect first Layer on your 3D printer, (pictoral)

The Purpose of the Article is to explain the process of adjusting for the best First layer while doing a print.

There are several assumptions made for this document below is the list;

1. Your 3D printer is set up plugged in and able to complete a successful “all axis home”

2. Your belts and major mechanicals of the 3d printer are adjusted and functioning as they should be.

3. Your Z offset is currently configured so that when you start printing the nozzle will not crash into the bed on your 3D printer, If unsure use the M851 command to set the Z offset to 0.00

4. You currently have installed the bed surface you are intending on printing on, Glass, Textured bed, Mirror, PEI are perfect examples

pull down a model with a larger base, I would recommend going to www.thingaverse.com and use something like this

This is called a bed level test, I am using, in this case, to allow lots of time to adjust the first layer.

The end result of this procedure is what you are looking for in the images below

Visually what you are looking for is this;

Slice the above file in your slicer software, Load it onto your machine and start the print

As the print starts it should be a couple of mm above the bed.

On your touch screen touch the "adjust " button

On the left side of the screen you will see “z height adjustment” It will say on it whatever your current Z height offset is.

Touch the down arrow to bring the nozzle into the negative range, -.01, -.02, -,03,etc…

On most creality machines you will be somewhere between -2.5 and -3.5 when you are complete

Continue to bring the nozzle down until you are starting to see something similar to the middle of the picture above.

Until you are close to the bed the filament will not stick to the bed. Continue to bring the nozzle closer until the filament starts to stick to the bed.

Found a really good picture showing the first layer, Made by Michael from Teaching Tech. Giving credit where credit is due. Nice job on this

1 Like

A big problem I have is being able to see the lines which are that small, even with a magnifying glass.

I agree, The way I usually do it is to take my calibration cube, make it 500% and print only the first layer, at the end of the layer I kill the print and examine the result.