Tevo Tarantula Newbie

Can 2.85 filament be used with the tarantula?
Is there any advantage?

2 Likes

What causes it to shift?

2 Likes

no it wont fit. its the exact same as 1.75mm filament.

1 Like

also just thinking about it, lose belts on the printer can cause shifts and make prints “sloppy”.

1 Like

Even if the holes in the filament drive were drilled out and the feed tube were
changed, it wouldn’t be worth it?
The reason I’m asking is FB Marketplace has a Few sealed spools for sale at
decent price

2 Likes

They look as though they are tight enough, it doesn’t droop and has good tension.
Like when checking your fan belt lol
The rest of the print looks good and even. :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

ok awesome. and honestly ive thought about a larger filament solution but its not worth the time or money.

1 Like

I’ll have to check out the parts.
What would be the advantages or disadvantages?

2 Likes

not any advantages

1 Like

You can find the 2.85mm filament cheaper for now because it’s probably not selling. you might make a machine to resize and re-spool it to 1.75 it wouldn’t be that hard.

On your layer shift, it’s either mechanical I think or a slicer error. if your carriages move smoothly with the power off and nothing is loose or being obstructed then maybe try slicing the file again in a different slicer? These are the only things I can think of to cause that.

1 Like

Like an extruder with a 1.75 tip, then something to cool it?

Everything feels tight and smooth.
That was done with Ultimaker Cura 4.12.1, I’ll find others to try.

1 Like

Ok

Do you think the original extruder could handle extra material?

2 Likes

look for anything that may have impeded the movement of the carriage in question like a cable getting hooked or it being too close to a wall or something like that. it doesn’t take much for these little motors to skip and that makes them lose their position. you could also try the slice again with the part repositioned on the plate.

2 Likes

um, I don’t think you’d want the small tip. if I was doing it I would just have a tip or an orifice the right size for the diameter and use the speed between the input extruder and the winder to control the stretch with a sensor in the middle to get the gauge right. . it would need a lot of cooling right where it reaches the right diameter and beyond I think for it to work too.

2 Likes

Everything looks good, I think it probably was the slicer, it happened once before near
the end of the spool holder. I’ll just keep an eye on it and reprint if need be.
Thank you

2 Likes

I Don’t think it’s worth the hassle Right Now lol
Thank you

2 Likes

Its possible to chabge from 1.75mm to 2.85 or 3mm. I looked into it briefly at one point. The advantage of 1.75mm is its flexability as a wound filament, less breakages. The 2.85mm filament could be viable if you can settle for the breakage risk and wanted to push for a larger nozzle. You dont need a larger nozzle per say, but with it being a larger diammeter equals more volume of filament per mm, it makes sense to go big at that point.

In the end i havent justified trying out 2.85mm filament beacuse it would result in a dedicated machine and id need to restock in that filament where ive already got plenty of 1.75mm filament now.

To make it work though, it may have best success in a direct drive setup, and dont forget to tell both your firmware and your slicer the new filament diammeter.

1 Like

If 2.85 is that chancy it’s probably not worth it unless I get it Real Cheap. lol

Thank you

1 Like

I think I found the shifting problem, I’ll be sure when it doesn’t happen till I take the bed off again lol.
The bed is on springs, I had it off (don’t remember why lol) I think they were just settling, plus through adjusting them.

1 Like