What was your first 3D printer ever?

Tell us about the very first 3D printer you owned and how you got started in the 3D printing world!

I started with Shapeways but quickly realized how pricey it was. Toyed with the idea of a printer for around a year and kept looking around at what was available. Noticed everything was a copy of Prusa machines so decided to go for the original. Purchased a MK2 then 1nyear later another used MK2. Still have them 3 years later. Great little machines.

2 Likes

Heard about them and saw them online abunch and my buddy bought a prusa mk3 I believe. I couldn’t afford that so I ended up buying an ender 3 awhile later which I’ve had for a little over 2 years now. (It’s not currently in working order now though cause I blew the mainboard for the second time😥)

1 Like

Jumped in head first with no experience with a CR-MAX. Surprisingly easy to get going. Had some initial problems but once I got it going, its been solid. Huge printing bed as well!

1 Like

My first one was a mendel

Built with Arduino and a Ramps board. Had to order it part by part off ebay.

7 Likes

I had the original Makerbot, complete with wooden frame. I used it continuously until about 3 months ago, when the cost of replacing parts was getting prohibitive. It was an incredible machine!

2 Likes

My First and only at the moment is an Ender 3 Pro.

I am currently researching different options for a 2nd printer though.

3 Likes

Monoprice Mini Select V2

2 Likes

I started with a Crealty Ender 3 and had all kinds of issues with the z screw not aligning with the stepper motor. Since this was my first attempt at this new world I returned it to Amazon with a full refund. I then made my way to 3d Printing and after some discussion about what I would use it for (HO train hobbyist), I purchased the Crealty CR20 pro with bed leveling. Worked right off the hop. I had the flex table liners and have bought 2 in the last year after the prints stopped sticking. This makes a full year of use and I have created a number of items for the train layout and for my grandkids. Enjoying learning more and keeping me busy in retirement.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from What was your first 3D printer ever?:

My first printer was A Tronxy X3A and I bought it because I was curious about the 3D printer craze. It took about a year before I was able to get some decent prints due to equipment failures .

:grinning:

2 Likes

My first printer was the Creality Ender 3. This was followed up a few months later with the Creality Ld002R. Currently those are the only two machines I have space for.

2 Likes

Ender3 pro for my first one and I just picked up a second Ender3 used which is being converted to a 400x400 build platform for a project that I have. Pretty excited!

3 Likes

hey there rocketkitty

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum

Jason H

3 Likes

I started off this hobby back in 2016, from a red flag deals post. bought an anet a8 knowing nothing about 3d printing. 5 years later, it looks alot different.

before
now

4 Likes

haha i printed that red piece for a colleague. its a lawn mower blade leveling device, I believe.

1 Like

Rant time! Very much a newb, as I just started last October. Bought an ender 3 after buying into the hype about how great it is for beginners. I cannot disagree more! Out of the box, that thing is as loud as a garbage truck, would stop mid print for absolutely no reason, took forever to level (then never stayed put for more than one print), and sooooo many nozzle clogs due to a cracked extruder. Not knowing any better, I bought the newer silent board, new springs, levelling knobs, all metal extruder, and auto bed leveller. The new board did silence it, the new springs and knobs changed NOTHING, and the auto bed leveller is anything but beginner friendly to install on the firmware side of things, so I gave up on that and sent it back. Even with all the frustration I was hooked, so figured I should try a different machine. Enter the Tronxy XY-2 Pro. LOVE IT! Dead quiet out of the box, super quick and accurate auto levelling, and the auto load/unload titan extruder is amazing. I haven’t had a single print stop midway, except for a power outage, which was seamlessly finished afterward. Pla, abs, and petg all print amazing. All for $5 less than the ender 3! In short, the ender 3 deserves much less praise than it gets, and the tronxy xy-2 pro should be crowned King of Entry Level Printers :+1:

3 Likes

I agree about the bed leveling being only good for one print. Reduced the noise by adding ball feet.

Good to know about the Tronxy

2 Likes

2016 was the time I got my 1st 3D printer which was an Anet A8. Opened the box and then just over 6hrs later I was up and printing. I still have the Anet A8 and apart from Dragon Hotend and Titan Extruder it is still stock everywhere else. I use this daily on constant 11hr prints and even tho I have 5 other fdm printer this is still the best one I have for quality and reliability.

3 Likes

I’ve had a alot but still seems like I will always go back to my ender 3 pro, total go to machine

1 Like

I got into 3D printing when I used to fly ultralights. Saw a video for a new machine that had 40 3D printed parts in the assembly, all non structural. Blew me away.
First printer was a Tevo Tarantula, comes shipped in a big box and is all nuts and bolts and parts.
took me about 20 hrs to build (took my time) and second print come out perfect.
That was 5 years ago and now I also have a CR10S Pro at home. I got where I work into the craze and we have 2 good size FDM machines and a resin printer there that I use. Not enough time for all the fun/fails. LOL.

2 Likes