Who has fixed an appliance in your house with your 3d printer skills?

I am just more curious I know I have replaced a bracket on my fridge, printed a new handle for the dishwasher, and made more functional strainer brackets for the rice cooker.

I’ve made Numerous tool holders and sorters in the garage but that may be another topic.

Would love to know what you have fixed around your house rather than throwing it out and buying new?

3 Likes

I just printed a closing level piece for my Samsung Fridge on the weekend. Stays shut now. I put it on Thingyverse as Amazon wanted $70 for the piece. It actually works better than the original. I think we are living in the future.

1 Like

Hey Todd

I agree with you 100%, I got my first printer together before my oldest daughter was born, I can only imagine what they will be creating in 10 years, This really is the future.

Jason

1 Like

Haha, I made a set of new handles for my old basement fridge… Uploaded to Thingiverse.

1 Like

Not so much appliances, but I’ve printed a new lid for a juice jug, repaired my pepper shaker lid, made a lid holder for the deep fryer.

I’ve also printed an air inlet gasket out of tpu for the lawnmower, a new tank stay end to hold the fuel tank up on my motorcycle.

1 Like

Not really a fix but I purchased a used Delta thickness planer and had to change the knives but there was no knife setting gauge so I found the specs and designed one in tinkercad. Worked out great

1 Like

Not an appliance but… The back outside door frame of my condo was out of square at the top. From right to left of the door ( 33in or 85cm ) there was a gap from 5 mm (right) to 12mm (left) between the door and the frame. I tried for two years to properly insulate it, but a 12 mm high slot at the top of your door can be a real problem in the Quebec winter. The condo committee president was helpful with suggestions, but there was no way to get them to commit to rebuilding the frame, so… I made a simple wedge 85x5x(5-12) using freecad ( after some learning curve ) and chopped the stl into 5 parts that would fit on my printer. I then Gorilla glued the parts to the top of the door and bingo, goodbye gap, hello warm room. With that small repair I was saved triple the cost of my ender-5 pro ( i’m still treating myself to upgrades because of it )

3 Likes

Made a piece to hold the bearing for the beater bar on the vacuum. We have a rough collie and she sheds a lot, so the beater bar takes a lot of abuse, lol

2 Likes

Hey Mike

I guess the bar takes a “beating”… Sorry had to be said.

Jason

Nothing big, but saved my mom some sanity by printing a replacement foot for her kitchen aid stand mixer. It was a super quick print and brought stability to the machine. I printed her a handful so she doesn’t have to worry about a replacement again!

I’ve done a few of these kind of repairs

• Adjustable stand bracket for a space heater
  • Replacement latch for waffle maker
  • Replacement pot knob

My Keurig single-serve coffee maker has a spot for tall cups and a raised platform for smaller cups - but with my regular sized coffee cup on the platform, there was JUST enough space for coffee to splash out and make a mess of the surrounding counter. Not the end of the world, but still …

I wanted to add s small 2nd platform to prevent the splashing, and it had to fit securely on top of the Keurig platform. I found a couple Thingiverse designs that were close but weren’t really what I wanted. So I did some tracing and a couple of test prints before ending up with this:

Its a little rough around the edges, but there’s no more coffee splashes on the counter.

2 Likes

Never thought about it, but that’s a good idea. How easy was it to create a design that fits for the part to be replaced?

It all depends on how careful you are with the measurements.

Not a “fix” but an improvement: Ice cubes and water often splash outside of a cup in my Samsung fridge’s water/ice dispenser. For some idiotic reason, Samsung never took that into account. The water would then dribble down the front of the fridge and required frequent cleaning. I added a custom-shaped tray with a piece of paper towel in it and a grille on top. It soaks up any spills and lets it evaporate. Haven’t had to clean it in months.

1 Like

@awalkerca Good one, I forgot about a set of feet I printed for my chop saw because I couldn’t find replacements.

@awalkerca It feels good to be able to make something useful like this and usually It’s these small quick little prints.

agreed - $400 printer justifiable in the eyes of others with $0.02 prints :smiley:

1 Like

I designed a printed a replacement diffuser for my wife’s hair dryer:

1 Like

@kgr thanks for the share

Welcome to the Forum
Jason H