Who has fixed an appliance in your house with your 3d printer skills?

It wasn’t a big deal - I used to use plastic milk bottle caps arranged on top of the Keurig platform and they were exactly the right height, so I used them for my platform “thickness”. My Keurig has a removable metal plate with a star in it to catch drips, so I traced that plate and the star. I took a picture of the tracing with my phone, used that image to make a 3D object by importing and extruding it. Distributed a bunch of small support legs on the hollow underside to prevent a heavier cup from causing stress failures, and did a quick test print to get the curved part so that it snugged up against the Keurig water reservoir. Great fun! :slight_smile:

Hopefully not PLA haha this would warp quick! Are you using PETG?

None of these are appliances but here’s a few things. A new handle for the screen door, shop vac attachments, parts for those plastic sheds. And the list keeps growing.

Hey Jfodor

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum

I should maybe not have said appliances specifically, but I liking everyone’s feedback

Jason H

I have a baby gate keeping my dog out of the kitchen but the latch broke. I found that some designed a replacement part in thingiverse so I printed it and I’m currently working on improving the design.

1 Like

Actually, now that I think about it, that version did melt. So I switched to the following design which didn’t have such a fine structure and printed it out of ABS, and it was fine.

Well, no appliance repairs yet but did fix a camera lens, dropped my camera with a 70-200mm l series lens on it, the retaining ring broke. Was not worried until I found out the lens and parts are now obsolete. Was discouraged then I thought about the 3D Printer, designed a replacement part then printed it, wow, worked perfectly and saved the lens.

I have printed a number of knobs for various things. A button for my girlfriends soda stream. A coin tray for my car. Not really an appliance but a stand I designed for my razor.
https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/35976-12-mm-razor-stand-karve-de

One arm of my headphones broke, so I designed and printed a replacement:

1 Like

Ah-Ha! Thanks for the inspiration. I have a pair of noise cancelling headphones that I absolutely loved, but they broke in the same place. I didn’t have a 3D printer then, but I kept them because the noise cancelling was better than in any pair of headphones I’ve bought since. I’ll have to try this. It had never occurred to me.

Good luck with your repair. I made it in two halves and used screws to attach them. The internal structure is most of the complexity.

1 Like

What material did you use? Something with a bit of flex, I presume?

Just PLA. The flex comes from the top part of the headband, not the sides where this piece is.

Agreed, but the reason both yours and mine broke in the same place is that that place wants to flex but can’t, so it eventually cracks.

But I made the replacement part much thicker and strong, so it should be okay. And if not, then I can just print another one which is even stronger (or maybe more flexible) for ten cents.

Fixed the Mullion Spring Bracket on the Samsung Fridge. The plastic on the mullion broke inside and the spring had nothing to push on. Not a pretty fix but it works like the original.

Fridge Bracket Design 1
Fridge Bracket Design 2
Fridge Bracket Installed

1 Like

For my benefit, can you take a photo from farther away so I can get a feel of where this goes on the fridge? I also have a Samsung fridge, hence the interest.

Here’s a photo a little further away. The left door with the flap for making a seal between the french doors. I cut away part of the remaining support for the spring on the flap so the new part would fit in and have the pivot point in roughly the same location.

R

1 Like

Thanks for the extra photo. Now that I see where a shelf is in relation to the hinge, I can find it on my own fridge. I originally thought this was an external hinge. Anyway, mine appear to be designed slightly differently, but I’ll keep a closer eye on them for signs of breakage.

That’s funny that this came up the very day we broke something on our slicer. The part is printing now. I only had red transparent stuff so it’ll be flashy. Some new render functionality in fusion I get to try now too. Be nice if it printed like it shows in the render heh.

1 Like