CR Touch on an Ender5 pro

I don’t think you can send a video to the forum directly. What I’ve done in the past is post my video to Youtube and post the link to the Youtube video here.

I have an identical setup and my CR Touch has been working great up until yesterday… Since then I cannot auto-home. Every single time it rams the nozzle into the bed. I lowered the bed way down and when you press CR touch probe, the bed just keeps going up until it hits the nozzle. I’ve removed CR and put original firmware on it, that is fine. CR touch doesn’t seem to work anymore. I’ve tried different SD cards, resets, etc.

Ok now I am really confused after crashing several times I took a video then I changed out the PETG for PLA and tried to print out a print tower the printer printed and did not crash But the print head is way to high the filament just strings along behind the head. I used a feeler gauge to set Zstop several times and several thickness from .1mm down and the height doesn’t seem to change and I save settings. What is the trick

I reinstalled the original firmware printer worked well. Reinstalled firmware for Ender 5pro no adapter made all settings as per CR Touch install sheet. printer auto homes to center of the bed then probes left and the drives print head into the left rail. Nothing I have found changes this so reverted to stock and level before every print. This is something I never do with my ER20 or FLQ5.

HI @vernonmr

Usually, it’s a pretty straightforward install, Sorry you are having problems with it.

The only test you need for getting a BLtouch functioning is as follows. When you power it on and the pin deploys and stores 2X. The red light must stay on and not flash. After the printer completes booting the tiny blue light should come on steady. If all that is successful last thing to do is home the printer and touch the probe before it reaches the bed to ensure it triggers and stops the gantry. Past that the only other thing is the Z offset.

If the head is trying to print too far above the bed it’s a Z offset issue, The trigger point of the BLtouch will be considered the new Z=0. The M851 or Z offset will tell the printer to move below the trigger to start printing. Let’s say you set your M851 Z-5.0. This would tell the printer that although the slicer is saying to start printing at Z=0 what I actually want you to do is move to Z = -5 before you start printing.

The driver you are looking for, is under Accessories not under Printers. Just noticed when I was going over your post and mine… I’m not clear on which you have installed

That is where I got my firmware Ender 5 pro no adapter, installs fine, set up from CR Touch sheet Touch lights up as should. If I power off machine and manually move head to home and power on go to auto home it will home to approx middle of bed. If I start a print it will move head to left side or front rail and steppers will make noise. this will repeat until I reflash with what I believe is stock firmware. But now if I finish a print and auto home the head slams into the front rail and I have to manually move head to home to start another print. Frustrating.

Did you ever have any luck fixing this issue? My ender 5 pro with 4.2.2 board is doing the same thing of crashing into the left side of the printer on the x axis after installing a CR Touch

Hi @Bry2 Welcome to the forum, Glad you found us in our little corner of the internet.

Just want to make sure I am understanding correctly, When you try to home the printer it’s crashing on the X-axis?

Can you confirm with an M119 that the X-axis end-stop is functioning normally?

To Bry2, no luck. removed CR re flashed firmware did all the bed levelling manually. printed for a while, now prints a purge line then continues printing up and down the purge line. Tried different files different slicers. Only difference is where it prints. always the same up and down the purge line. I spoke with PJ at 3D Printing and we decided a 4.2.7 board would fix my problem so I ordered one flashed with the newest firmware. As soon as I get it up and running it is down the road.

1 Like

To Jason, my ender 5 pro didn’t slam the bed when homing it did it when you started a print. It originally did it when probing the bed. It started in the middle probed moved left probed then moved all the way left until it slammed into the left rail. Not worried now have a new board on the way. AS soon as I get this thing going dependably it is down the road. It has given me more trouble than my other three printers combined.

I do have to thank all the people on the forum for their assistance I am sorry nothing I tried fixed my problem which basically started with the CR Touch.

Hey thanks for the welcome lol. Found out I needed to adjust my endstop distance in the software on the printer itself adjusted +40mm and no longer crashes but now after getting this problem fixed noticed my feeder motor was going backwards so I swapped the wires going to the motor to reverse the polarity. Was working great for a while tuning my z offset and was all good it seemed and went to do a print now the feeder motor keeps randomly stopping on its own . No clog its just like the motor itself is doing nothing… not sure what to do now. Ordered a replacement feeder stepper wire that should be here tomorrow to try out and see if fixes

I would suspect is just a loose wire on the harness where you flipped the pins, Happens all the time, Just have a careful look and make sure they are all set properly, If not the harness should fix it not an issue, Remember never unplug or plug in a stepper motor with the power on, It will pop the stepper driver and on these printers it’s a new MB unfortunitally.

Earlier this summer I purchased an Ender 5 Pro. At the same time I ordered a CR Touch and a glass build plate upgrade and, based on the “Top 5 FREE and PAID Creality Ender 5 (Pro) Upgrades!” I saw on Youtube, I ordered a V4.2.7 motherboard. So far the glass plate and Motherboard remain sealed in their boxes.
After weeks of tinkering and flashing and watching more Youtube than I care to admit, I’ve managed to create ONE successful print.
I’m currently using “Ender-5 ProMarlin2.0.6HW4.2.2BLTouchFilament” for firmware.
The CR Touch goes through the 9-point leveling process just fine but when it starts to print the nozzle is about 5mm ABOVE the surface.
I’ve followed every Z-Offset video I can find but in the end, when the project starts to print the nozzle is way too high.
I’m thinking that it might be a slicer issue? Maybe something I needed to update but didn’t know about?
I’m using Cura 5.1.0 and I have inserted the G29 command to run the auto level, but still it tries printing in mid-air.
Help Me Obi Wan Kenobi! You’re my only hope. :wink:

I am not Obi Wan but I can tell you this, I have everything you mentioned, done everything you have, except I use the glass plate and have installed the 4.27 board. I ended thowning the CR back in the box and back in the drawer. I also installed the Micro Swiss hot end and extruder. Nothing but clogs so I kept the hot end and threw the extruder back in the box and back in the drawer. Use a manual level procedure and check level every few prints and am quite happy now. I know there will be comments about not knowing how to set this stuff up. But I don’t believe it should need a degree.

It seems to me that there are 2 camps regarding the ABLs, either they work great and are loved or we can’t get 'em to work at all and they become scrap in the back of a drawer and we manually level. :thinking:

I would really prefer to be in the first camp as I’m, by nature, a lover rather than a hater.

As of now, the 4.2.2 board is IN the machine and the CR touch is ON … Cura 5.1.0 has had the G29 command (auto-level) inserted. When I run a print the machine auto homes, then does the 9-point matrix, goes back to home, but then the bed drops about 5mm, and the print starts, but there’s nothing for the filament to adhere to…

I really feels like this is a PEBCAK, as we would say in the tech support call center (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard)… like there is something I missed in Cura or some other setting I’m overlooking from lack of experience.

HI RDerme

Welcome to the forum, Glad you found us. Is there any chance you can post up your start Gcode here and let us have a look at it. Just to rule it or include it as part of the issue.

Jason

I’m in the middle with regards to ABL.

They work but they’re expensive and take up a lot of space in the hot end.

I’m trying to get Klicky to work reliably right now although while the concept is good, the online designs are more finicky than I think they should be.

Hey… I just added a CRTouch and a MicroSwiss NG Direct drive extruder to my Ender 5 Pro… when I start a print, the CRTouch probes the middle of the print bed and all looks fine… but when the print starts and it goes through its 9-point check, the points are all to the left and too close to the front by about 20mm… when it gets to point 7, the probe is completely off the bed… almost like it thinks the bed is 20mm bigger than it is… how do i fix the probing locations to that they probe the spots that the nozzle is supposed to hit?

Thanks