Furniture for enclosures

So my wife wants me to find a cabinet or something to put the 3D printer in rather than building something from scratch. She wants it to “blend in” with the office. Has anyone found anything that a CR10s Pro will fit into from IKEA or anything?

Good question. I suppose much depends on what the rest of the office consists of.

If you can’t find a good physical fit, you could still make your own cabinet using parts from Ikea (glass doors with hinges from one product, panels from another, etc.)

On this note, way back when, in the old house, we remodelled the kitchen with Ikea cabinets. You do that by buying a generic cabinet (fully enclosed, sans door), and then get the look you want by adding external panels (I’m not referring to the doors) in the finish you want. Those cabinets come sized to fit the cabinets, but they are basically pieces of particle board (like most Ikea furniture) with a laminated finish. I think we went with an Oak laminate, but there’s pine, various colours of melamine and others I can’t remember right now.

In our case, we had an oddly shaped kitchen that required me to make a corner shelving unit, for an outside corner. They don’t sell stuff like that, so I ended up making the cabinet/shelving unit out of Ikea kitchen cabinet end panels. I just bought the largest panels they had and cut them to size. Hence, I had a custom cabinet but made with parts that exactly matched the reset of the Ikea kitchen.

I suggest it because it may be a way for you both to get what you want.

1 Like

Yeah I’m going to have to go and wander around Ikea and see what I can see. I did some cursory searching and although I found a few things (armoires and the like) that might work they’re either too large or have interior dimensions just a hair too small. I was just hoping someone had already done this so I could ride the coattails so to speak and not have to spend a bunch of time searching. I also don’t want to spend a huge amount on this either.

1 Like

I didn’t use furniture but did use the cheap table tops to construct an enclosure.