My enclosure build thread

Continuing the discussion from Furniture for enclosures:

So I figured I’d break out from my original thread to discuss what I’m doing for my enclosure. Please everyone feel free to chime in and offer suggestions… I’m flying by the seat of my pants here so if I’m planning to do something dumb please let me know.

So here’s where we are so far. I bought the Rakkestad wardrobe and a couple of shelves from Ikea. After some preliminary measurements I found it was one of only a couple that would actually fit the CR10s Pro V2. Here is how I have it currently set up:

My plan is to print a desktop spool holder and feed it through a bowden tube drilled through the top shelf and fed to the printer below. I will also print a ribbon cable chain that will redirect it behind the printer. Then I intend to line the print chamber with ceramic fiber to offer some fire protection and temperature insulation. I’ll also add a smoke detector, LED light strip, and if I can find an inexpensive solution a automatic fire suppression device. Then I will cut some holes in the shelf the printer is on and put in some cooling ducts to the printer from below to keep the electronics cool. Then I want to put in a temperature control system in the main chamber to keep it as warm or cool as I need it depending on the filament being used. Eventually I also want to add a HEPA/activated charcoal filtration system to minimize any VOCs and fumes (I work in this same room all day every day so it seems prudent).

The shelf below the printer will contain the rPi and the smart power strip controlled by the Pi and Octoprint. I’ll also set up my IR camera in the chamber to monitor.

SO… anyone have any thoughts or concerns about what I’m doing? Anybody done something similar?

lights lots of lights. I print a lot of black stuff and I hate not being able to see it heh. that cabinet is going to make it seem even worse. I think the fire-rated batting is a good idea for insulation.


Thanks! Yeah I expect the insulation will brighten things up a lot since it’s white. But I have every intention of putting in some lights for sure.

1 Like

So I came across this automotive insulation today that might actually work well for an enclosure:

It is sound deadening, fire resistant, and the foil lining should help keep the heat inside the chamber when I want it warmer. Seems to me like it might be a good choice and it’s not very expensive. I figure I’d probably need 3 rolls to fully enclose the chamber so probably an all-in cost of $50 CAD or so.

Anyone see any red flags that I’m not seeing?

no I think you are on the right path, If I’m not mistaken I think that insulation is actually sticky on one side, makes installation a breeze

1 Like

Yeah! The sticky back seems like it would be ideal for this use.

After a little searching around I found and ordered this:

After doing a little drawing and math I found that I could make better use of a 1m x1.4m roll versus the 2m x 0.5m roll. Plus even with shipping this was way cheaper. So we’ll see what I get. I’ll be sure to update the thread once it arrives and I get everything installed.


@SpaceMoose that is really interesting. I have been busy this week, late to the party so to speak, sorry for that. I have been thinking that perhaps a enclosure could be made from XPS insulation (Pink Foam) it is quite strong, light, fire resistant, and inexpensive.

My thought is if you had a table that the printer fits upon and you build an open bottom, open front, box that just sits over the printer with printed hinges for a front door. I think that would work quite well. Especially if you need to work on the printer the whole box could be lifted away.

Just a thought.

@kitedemon I think you’re on the right track for sure. In my case I have the cabinet so it’s kind of hard to make it removable. Plus the CR-10s Pro V2 just fits inside when the bed is fully extended so the pink foam would be too thick (though I suppose I could trim where necessary). The stuff I bought, while more expensive than the pink foam, is thinner and self-sticking so it would in theory work really well in my application to line the cabinet. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Now that I have the insulation, sound deadening, and fire resistance figured out my next step will be figuring out how best to control the temperature in the chamber (both heating and cooling) and also think about fume/VOC extraction and negation.

1 Like