New member but old user

Greetings all!

3dprinting has been my passion since I was young, those days we call it Rapid Prototyping (yes i’m kinda old :-p )
I have a Cr10spro v1 which i bought in 2019 and it’s time to do some upgrades for it. Looking forward to support and learn from everyone here.

1st project… BL touch my cr10s pro v1!

Cheers,
Joehunt

That was my first upgrade for my CR10S Pro V1, but had to upgrade firmware to use it. Next I added a Micro Swiss all metal hot end. Worked like a charm, once I found out the e-steps are vastly different than the original.

Greetings from Winnipeg!
Adding a BL/CR touch should be the first thing everyone does, IMHO. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

welcome @Joehunt

Glad to see you here, The BLTouch and the direct drive are both great upgrades to get into the nitty Gritty of the printer.

One suggestion on the BLtouch, Make sure you get the BLtouch firmware and the pinout diagram from the same source. It will make a huge difference in being successful if the pinouts say to hook the BLtouch to a specific pin but the firmware is looking for it somewhere else.

Jason

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone… :slight_smile:

@Jason thanks for the reminder, I collected many inputs from the forum and many comments from the Youtube video… I think I summarize correctly (fingers crossed)

Option A - Creality* f/w v1.70.1 with BL touch [make the connection to Z+ instead of Z-]
*I read someone’s comment, jumper cable if using Creality’s f/w is that true?

Option B- Tiny machines f/w [make the connection to Z- as shown in the video]

Joehunt

1 Like

Hi there :wave:

Glad you decided to join us, we are so happy to have you here!

Upgrading and messing around with the printers has always been my favorite part of the hobby! It is always incredible to me to have a machine start to make parts for itself, never gets old. A BLTouch seems like a good first upgrade, I have always found them extremely useful with such big bed sizes.

Looking forward to seeing all your upgrades in the future.
Matthew

2 Likes

Welcome here! My vote would be for a CR Touch over a BL Touch, especially on a Creality machine. The probe on the CR Touch is metal, compared to whatever type of plastic the BL Touch uses. My $0.02.

2 Likes

That is a great suggestion!

The CRTouch is also a little bit more accurate if I remember right. I haven’t used one personally but I know other people seem to be pretty happy with it.

1 Like

It’s very good. I have zero complaints about it.

Yup, I added CR Touches to both of my Ender 3s. Zero complaints. Only regret is not getting them about 2 years earlier!

2 Likes

Hi Matthew,
Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately I already purchased BLtouch v3.1 due to price and review I found especially with Cr10s-pro v1. The CRtouch here in Malaysia cost roughly usd5 more.

Anyways lets see how it goes this round…
regards,
Joehunt

This thread talks about adding a BL Touch to your printer.

Sounds good!

Keep us updated on your progress. If you need any help we are always here.

Happy printing,
Matthew

Just received my BLTouch v3.1 kit + extension cables…!

I plan to install this with TM3D f/w : 10Spro_BIL_DW7.4.6.hex

3 Likes

Burning the midnight oil was worth it after some try and error. I was able to make it work and set my z-offset successfully. I share some notes here and pics for reference.

Glad you got it to work!

Thanks for sharing this info, I’ll note it down in case I need to refer to it in the future. How are you liking the BLTouch so far?

Thanks,
Matthew

still not use to a mechanical piece probing to the bed… whenever it tries to z-home i pray that the nozzle does not grind all the way down :sweat_smile: then i see/hear that click click sound and smiled (relieved)

:rofl:

2 Likes

HI @Joehunt

Every time I start my printers I listen for the Click Click, As long as I hear it on startup I am 90% confident I will run without issue.

Visually check the probe and make sure the red light is not flashing. If you have 2 clicks, Solid red, Solid blue, You’re at 99%.

The only caveat to that is if I have not powered up the printer in a couple of days or a week, the First time it homes Z I touch the probe with my finger to ensure I will stop as it should. Gives you a couple of secs to hit the power switch if something goes awry

2 Likes

Great tips Jason… Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Latest upgrade for my cr10spro…
Double sided PEI sheet (smooth and textured), quite happy with the result… still need some fine tuning on filament temperature

20230512_005947
20230512_005925
20230512_005908