Printing Issues

hrm ok. That’s why I try and describe it because you can’t trust the photos. Just game me an idea I think I have some layer tests I printed saved with my black PETG lemme see if I can get a decent pic

Right now my z axis is plus 004.8. Should I auto home and then do baby steps?

well if your tops are smooth then that should be ok then I guess I’d look at adhesion because some of the perimeters look like they were curled away. The shiny black filament is really hard to photograph heh.

2 Likes

Ive taken the pieces off bed and only one I can hold up to the light and not see through. The others you can see through. Just like in video it says its too far?

The stock firmware can’t babystep, but you can do similar.
With the print running you can adjust the z-probe offset to see the difference live.

Baby stepping will get you tighter tolerances, but the stock firmware doesn’t list it, but you can do it through M terminal commands. zprobe offset works alright for with stock firmware without terminal commands.

If your running +4.8, I would try +4.9 or +5.

ahh, so it’s like rungs? The plastic some out of the nozzle round and the distance and travel is supposed to make it squash together so they join. that’s where it gets its strength from so laying o the bed the cross-section is oblong and touching between rows so you should not be able to see through to daylight between them. Yes too far. @TurkeyOnRye has a method for your printer to accomplish baby steps I didn’t realize your printer didn’t have that specifically.

So Ive done a few test prints and adjusting from +4.8 to +4.9 and up to +5. and to me print is pretty smooth but I can still see through all of them when I hold it up?

Smooth is good, sometimes I can see through mine if I hold it to the light, depends on the filament.

Seeing though like it’s transparent or seeing through like there is nothing there? Thin plastic gets translucent but if the tracks aren’t touching and stuck together then you’ll loose strength. This is one of the above squares with a light behind it.

2 Likes

This is how some of them came out. I hope you can see.

1 Like

I see looks like there is too much space between the tracks what slicer are you using?

I just did this print of what I was having problem doing.

Im using prusaslicer?

It looks like the nozzle is too close. I assumed if you had a BL touch the firmware that turned on the touch would have also turned on baby stepping. It is the ability to precisely change the nozzle height.

I have bl touch. Not sure if I have babystepping. Not sure is going on. Some say too close and some say too far?

That’s what I thought at first but OP says its smooth pictures are hard heh

The first photo looks like it’s too close but the last photo with the guitar-looking first layer seems like it’s too far but you said the layers are smooth without ridges. In prusa slicer, the only extrusion width I see is under the print/advanced tab. On and ender 5 the first layer width by default is 0.42mm what is your first layer height setting on this test print?

Mostly this seems to always be a combination of Leveling, Distance, and Temperature.

My first layer is set at0.3. l printed that larger piece in earlier pico and it looks pretty good too me.

if the results are good then the extra tinkering isn’t going to get you much.

Just wondering if my bl touch is working properly. Is there any way to make sure it is working?